Meater probes....... Sorry to say but I would stay far far away from them.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbnice1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
I got mine 2 or so years ago... Loved it. was even considering buying a second or one of the new 4 probe blocks. But mine stopped working. The + box failed so I can only connect directly to the probe so I have like 20 foot range. I sent a message i to them and im not joking, 5 days later and 5 emails later I cant just send this thing in to have it repaired.......... I wasnt even asking for a warrenty repair anything else. I just wanted to send in in for repair. They keep sending me back instructions on how to pair it even tho I previously had to send them pics shows things in the app, which clearly shows that the probe is fine but the + box is un-connectable. I have had it. I am dont messing with these guys. It shouldnt be this hard to simply send something in for repair.
One of the last emails they were sending me instructions on how to connect to a non + unit. I think they just have a 10 y/o going off some strange help script.......

I'm guessing they don't have a repair facility, if under warranty the just replace it. Out of warranty you probably have to replace it.

Which in my opinion is wrong. If you sell something you should be able to repair it.
But even if you dont plan on doing that. Dont waste someones time for 5 days asking dumb crap. Just say we cant repair it, and its out of warrenty. I would have rather that then 5 days of run around.

Read a number of complaints regarding the Meater Probes. I totally agree with your position. At the end of the day the best solution is to move away from a company that does not stand behind their equipment.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
So what are the other options out there for a true wireless, dual sensor probe? In the market for one this Xmas?

Ouch. Meater recently had a sale and I finally gave in and bought a + for $80. So far, I’ve only used it once, on the Thanksgiving turkey. I was pleasantly surprised, not so much with it reading temps properly - that’s just table stakes - but with the estimating cooking time. I thought for sure it was underestimating the time, but it was spot on.

Hopefully mine lasts longer than 2 years. Even though it says it’s dishwasher safe, I’ll wash it by hand. I still have my Thermoworks Smoke as a backup. I just don’t like messing with the wires. Getting lazy I guess.

I got a Meater as a gift, but generally it’s not that great And its not used. Thermoworks makes SOLID equip. I have many of their products and they stand behind them.

I think Meater got bought by Treager didn’t they…hmmm consistently bad carries forwards…just sayin…

• Haha
Reactions: schlotz and clifish
I <3 the 4 probe. But that's not gonna help with my Joetisserie...

Not going to pile on Meater, no experience. Their product intrigued me at first but not enough to pay the price. I went with Thermoworks for good temperature measurement.
Then a great deal came up on Amazon for the Thermo Pro Temp Spike and I popped. Fifty bucks if I remember right. I've used it on a meat loaf and the Thanksgiving turkey. It worked well with one exception. The ambient temp reads significantly low. How long will it last?........we'll see. I'll be using it more with the new rotisserie.

Reactions: sandyut
At least 3 of the guys responding were not american so im guessing they are using overseas support centers. And im pretty sure I knew more about how it worked then them. On top of it, they just kept asking me to do more and more testing. Again remember this is not in warranty anymore. I just wanted to send it in for repair. But After now 6 days cant get that far so im done. Its a shame cause I really liek this probe till I had to deal with support.

I have the Meater Block. I bought it right after they were introduced. Mine connects to my Wi-Fi and I can be 50 miles away and check on my cook. I mainly use it for stuff in my oven.

I also have a Fire Board 2 Pro that I use with primarily with my Webber SNS setup. I've done comparisons and both are accurate +/- 1 degree or so.

The only thing I don't like about the Meater is the fact it wont read ambient temperature that is less than your food temperature. I was messing around with my roaster over and a potato. I was trying to dial in 150 degrees. Once the potato got above 150 the Meater would not read external temps below the potato.

My two cents..

Attachments

• IMG_0644.JPG
    IMG_0644.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 14
I have the Meater Block. I bought it right after they were introduced. Mine connects to my Wi-Fi and I can be 50 miles away and check on my cook. I mainly use it for stuff in my oven.

I also have a Fire Board 2 Pro that I use with primarily with my Webber SNS setup. I've done comparisons and both are accurate +/- 1 degree or so.

The only thing I don't like about the Meater is the fact it wont read ambient temperature that is less than your food temperature. I was messing around with my roaster over and a potato. I was trying to dial in 150 degrees. Once the potato got above 150 the Meater would not read external temps below the potato.

My two cents..
I loved mine as well till the box stopped working. My problem is with the out of country support you get with it now. I just wanted to send it in for repair. Not even warranty repair. Like just give me a address and rma number and let me know how much it will be once you look at it. 5-6 days later finally gave up after being asked for the same info I had already provided twice before and instructions of things they wanted me to do a second time along with some things that didnt even pertain to my model of probe......

I hope yours never stops working..... And im glad I did not buy a second once like I was going to.

I loved mine as well till the box stopped working. My problem is with the out of country support you get with it now. I just wanted to send it in for repair. Not even warranty repair. Like just give me a address and rma number and let me know how much it will be once you look at it. 5-6 days later finally gave up after being asked for the same info I had already provided twice before and instructions of things they wanted me to do a second time along with some things that didnt even pertain to my model of probe......

I hope yours never stops working..... And im glad I did not buy a second once like I was going to.
When my die, I won't be buying them again. I was traveling significantly for work and had some travel money left over. That is the only reason I bought them. I had to call them right after I received them about something (set up issues) and I swear I talked to someone in southern California.

You could try this: Meatstick

When my die, I won't be buying them again. I was traveling significantly for work and had some travel money left over. That is the only reason I bought them. I had to call them right after I received them about something (set up issues) and I swear I talked to someone in southern California.

You could try this: Meatstick
I had never heard fo the mearstick thanks for that link. I actually bout a fireboard 2 pro. I rarely needed the wireless I liked the idea of real thermo couples.

I’m not sure why people put so much stock in cooking to temp, generally.

Think of it this way, most fishing lures are designed to catch fishermen, not necessarily catch fish. It’s a gimmick. Good fishermen don’t kill fish with the latest greatest lures. As the same good cooks just learn how to cook. I use a pen therm for some things. The temp gives a better idea of where you are, but the way that pin therm goes in and comes out on feel tells me way more than the actual temp. Sausage and smaller stuff I need to know temp as to not over Cook, but Bbq, not needed in my view.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky