Meateater brined and cured bird review. Pic heavy.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 17, 2009
Hendertucky, Nv.
Here’s my gobbler for this year. I went a different route and brined and cured  this one. Here’s what I used and it sat in the fridge for 5 days. I started with a 19.09# bird and adjusted the pink salt for minus the tail, neck bone, and gizzards. This the best bird I’ve smoked yet, very happy with it. The myers and the cloves was the key ingredients for me. I’m looking forward to trying yard birds and game hens. 

½ cup kosher salt per gallon of liquid.

½ gallon apple cider

½ cup sugar

½ cup turbinado sugar

1 cup myers dark rum

Fresh rosemary

¼ oz. whole cloves

Pink salt for 18#

Stir once a day.

Injection of  myers rum, apple juice and unsalted butter.

I started off with the AMNS from 7:00 till 9:30 am with cherry and a touch of hickory. I then switched to the Burnt Coyote UDS and used blue bag and hickory chunks.

9:30 a.m. - 50*

1:30 p.m. – 139*  I quit the smoke

3:20 p.m. – 168*

Spritz every 30 minutes with apple juice and myers dark rum.

Stuffing was pretty simple. Stove top mix with two links of hot italian sausage crumbled and fried up, fried onions,  sautéed mushrooms and celery in butter, poultry seasoning, dried sage, pepper. All mixed up and chicken stock added till right.

Green bean casserole, gotta love it. Frozen cut green beans, fried onions, campbells roasted garlic mushroom soup, pepper, and home smoked belly bacon. 

Mashed taters, just some reds peeled and boiled. Mixed with my home smoked bacon, heavy whipping cream, garlic and onion powder, butter, butter, butter, pepper. 

Gravy, lot’s of it.

Enjoy! J

4e57dd9b_amns.jpg

921e29a6_ugly.jpg

52953992_burnt.jpg

4da3b5eb_mahogany.jpg

4a97cc9c_leg.jpg

a6bd3285_breast.jpg

22df8651_dualsmokers.jpg

icon_cool.gif

Very nice there ME. I really like the turkey and a nice color it is there. 

LoL Okay, I won't tell anyone and I'm certain no one can smell it, ...I can't from here!  And from the looks of the grease spots on the concrete from your first time you had better clean them up before the super comes by! 
biggrin.gif

Enjoy,

Gene
That looks fantastic and if I could I'd give you   
points.gif
for smoking on your upstairs balcony! 

Gene
SHhhhsh, I'm not suppose to use it up here!
icon_wink.gif
 The office had the day off so I snuck it out. I missed it.
icon_cool.gif

Great job on the cured and smoked turkey!  Isn't that the absolute best flavored turkey?  A delicacy to savor and enjoy!  It was something us kids looked forward to; dad only did them for New Years Eve and us kids could pig out on the leftovers all the next day while they slept it off, lol!

You go boy! Breakin' the rules and cooking up a fine chunk of meat! I hope nobody tattles on you. If they do let me know. I'll come and plunder their nuts!
icon_mrgreen.gif

AWESOME!!!!!

You kept this hidden from me for TWO days. What--Were you afraid I'd squeal on you????

I would not do that!

Beep Beep Ring Ring ----Meateater's building fires on the balcony!!!!!!  (Sirens Blasting!!!!)

That had to be some really good tasting bird !!!

Thanks Mike,

Bear

Beep Beep Ring Ring ----Meateater's building fires on the balcony!!!!!!  (Sirens Blasting!!!!)

Bear

Shall we start an SMF bail bond fund?  Someone will have to throw the bail and get the UDS out of the impound yard?

Nope, Let him rot in jail---He was warned---Let him smoke some bread & water for awhile!!!

LOL---Just kidding---He could probably make Great smoked bread & water !!!

A bail bond fund probably wouldn't be a bad idea. He'll never let that UDS gather any dust, even when threatened with eviction.

Tomorrow's "Los Vegas-Review" Headline:

"Hendertucky Homeless Man Living in a 50 gallon drum!"

Bear

Now that's a great post, I like the fact that you shared your brine recipe. The Q view is great too. It's all good my frienjd.

You guys/gals are killing me. Thanks for the laughs, and compliments.  
icon_lol.gif
 This was a awesome bird and I will be making chickens and game hens all year like this. I used Pops recipe with my own demented twist.

3a219f29_willwork.jpg

You guys/gals are killing me. Thanks for the laughs, and compliments.  
icon_lol.gif
 This was a awesome bird and I will be making chickens and game hens all year like this. I used Pops recipe with my own demented twist.

3a219f29_willwork.jpg
LOL---Better get used to the bars in your balcony railing.

nice job! not sure if i like the cured part.....does it taste hammy?

nice job! not sure if i like the cured part.....does it taste hammy?
The breasts needed more salt and were good, slightly hammy. The legs and thighs were just about right, I would say more salt but trying to wean myself away from it. The next turkey I smoke I'll do naked and skin it. I don't eat the skin and use it for soup stock only so what's the point.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky