Meatball Mac-N-Cheese on the CharGriller 980

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

O C

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 10, 2021
NC
My daughter wanted one of their favorite dinners so they could take the leftovers with them on a house-sitting job. Meatball MacNCheese. Took it up a notch by doing it all on the Chargriller 980.
I loosely follow any number of online recipes. Measurements are never exact, I usually reduce the butter a bit, there is plenty of fat from all the other ingredients!
One bag of store bought frozen angus beef 1 oz meatballs, we like those much more than the 1/2 oz size. One of these days I'll make my own...
Some good grated cheese, fontina and sharp cheddar. And about 3 oz of cream cheese.
About 2 1/2 cups of half and half, butter, flour, some onion, salt and pepper. 1 lb macaroni shells. Thats about it.
First smoked the meatballs about 30 mins at 325-350.
While they were cooking, grated the cheese and prepared the macaroni and sauce.
Got the meatballs off into the pan, chopped them up into smaller morsels (a couple never made it to the final dish), and added the macaroni and cheese sauce.
Back onto the grill for another 45 minutes at around 350. Upped the temp to 425 for the last 5-10 minutes to get a little browning.
My daughter said this was the best one I've made :)
The cook was not without drama. After taking off the meatballs I went back out to put the dish back on. The grill was off with an error code. A piece of charcoal had fallen into the fan area and jammed it. There had been some chatter when I first started it like a piece was in there, probably from my tapping the stack to knock loose ash. But it stopped so I thought all was well. I had to remove the fan unit (hot!) to get the piece out, but it all started back up after that.
IMG_0990.jpg
IMG_0992.jpg
IMG_0993.jpg
IMG_0998.jpg

I like combo meals like that. And i'm not against using pre-made meatballs and such.
Looks darn good.
Jim

Thanks all, it was great! My daughter is enjoying the leftovers, although they won't last long :)
Two pork butts going on early tomorrow morning...eating good this weekend!

Thanks all, it was great! My daughter is enjoying the leftovers, although they won't last long :)
Two pork butts going on early tomorrow morning...eating good this weekend!
You should try the Mac n cheese with some pulled pork. Did one earlier this week and was delicious. I bought the mac n cheese from Costco, and will try the meatball combination soon. Yours looks awesome, not sure how much leftovers we would have for sure.

The Mac turneout awesome. I know, no pics, it didnt happen. I'll one tomorrow. I am cheating and cooking a butt in slow cooker. No time for a smoke. But will be sure and use some leftover mac with it. It was box of bowties, a huge pile of cheese, 2 eggs, condensed milk, 2 cans of water, 1 sleeve of crushed up Ritx, and a cut up stick of butter on top. Did it at 300 for about 2 hours. Oh yea, cut up meatballs in it too. Tasty

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky