Meat thawing tool

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Got this for Christmas and just starting using it last week and I am floored at how well it works!
Can't believe I've been doing it wrong for 50 years..
In addition, if you use a vac sealer, you should freeze the meat before vac sealing and when thawing same, cut a hole in the vac seal bag to prevent the juices from getting sucked out of the flesh once it thaws.
Anyway, here's the meat thawing magic.

Attachments

• DSC00516.JPG
    DSC00516.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC00517.JPG
    DSC00517.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00518.JPG
    DSC00518.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 95
Trying not to bring down your happiness, but those things scare me. Defrosting meat on the counter is a big no no for me.

Those things work by having a very thermally conductive metal surface that constantly absorbs ambient temperature and quickly transfers that to the rest of the tray. The problem is this works really well for the surface of the meat but not so much past that. Meat is a poor heat conductor, so the magic stops there.

I'd be worried about bacteria growing by the time the meat is defrosted. Remember, no matter what material the meat is on, room temperature is just a 72 degree oven.

To each his own but I pay attention to how thawed the meat is or gets and then I put it in the fridge once it starts to get soft.
I'll email the manufacturer and explain your concerns, if they reply, I'll post up.

FWIW, it's full of a liquid which absorbs and quickly passes the temp to the lower aluminum side where it moves to the air.

I tend to agree and if you are paying attention it is probably a non issue. I would end up forgetting... My hack is to pull what I want a week ahead. Fridge is COLD so it takes much longer to thaw and about perfect after 5-6 days.

"if you use a vac sealer, you should freeze the meat before vac sealing and when thawing same, cut a hole in the vac seal bag to prevent the juices from getting sucked out of the flesh once it thaws. " I didn't know this.Geez....Wonder why freeze first? Oh Well----always learning

"if you use a vac sealer, you should freeze the meat before vac sealing and when thawing same, cut a hole in the vac seal bag to prevent the juices from getting sucked out of the flesh once it thaws. " I didn't know this.Geez....Wonder why freeze first? Oh Well----always learning
Usually freezing first helps to vac seal easier . Keeps any liquid from the meat from messing with the seal.

Ryan

We've used it to thaw burger meat, chicken tenders, chicken thighs and steaks three or four times and so far no sickness or tummy distress cases.

I'm not knocking you or your post so please don't take it that way. I've never seen or heard of this thing or know how it works. But following food safety guidelines in defrosting is of most importance on this site, and should be for any site. But by saying it's been used several times and hasn't gotten anyone sick yet isn't the proper way to put it. So please don't take it the wrong way. Maybe add in times it takes to thaw certain meats would be of greater help.

Ryan

Reactions: TuckersBarbeque
If you would look closely at the last picture I posted, there's a list of thaw times with and without using the tool.
As for me, I love how well it works.
I can take a steak out of the deep freeze that's hard as a rock and have it up to the low 30's pretty darn quick.
Not being an idiot or a moron, I put the still near 32 degree meat into the 37 degree fridge until it's time to let the temp rise to ambient on the counter right before burning it on the grill.
Never have met a bacteria that could survive near 1000 degree heat.

I think it's an interesting gadget . Be great for times when you forget to get something out .
Thanks for posting this .

That's my bad! I'm on my phone and didn't see that, thank you for pointing that out, I appreciate it!

Ryan

Trying not to bring down your happiness, but those things scare me. Defrosting meat on the counter is a big no no for me.

Those things work by having a very thermally conductive metal surface that constantly absorbs ambient temperature and quickly transfers that to the rest of the tray. The problem is this works really well for the surface of the meat but not so much past that. Meat is a poor heat conductor, so the magic stops there.

I'd be worried about bacteria growing by the time the meat is defrosted. Remember, no matter what material the meat is on, room temperature is just a 72 degree oven.
I dont see an issue with it...I mean people always recommend to let a steak come up to room temp before cooking. I don't personally do it but I always see people saying let it sit for between 30mins or up to an hour on the counter before cooking. At least as its thawing its still cold.

For small and thin cuts, it isn't so bad. I knew a guy who defrosted a whole brisket on the counter. That's an extreme, right?
But there is a line that gets crossed where it's no longer a good idea. If I can put it in the fridge the day before, why would I want a product with that risk?

I don't like leaving meats out all day. I put my meat which was vacuum sealed in room temp water. change often so water is not to cold. takes awhile but it is sealed and not out on the counter. This is what works for me. But everyone has their own was of getting to the same place defrosted meat so it can be smoked

I can't read the writing in the 3rd picture but I assume this thing improves defrost time if used in the refrigerator as well and that may even be the manufacturer's recommended usage?
I agree using this at room temp is not a good idea.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky