Meat smoking Log book

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

paprika pal

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Riverdale Nebraska
I just started keeping a smoking/cooking log book. I was wondering how many others do the same and what info they like to track. Give us a quick rundown of what you track please. This will help me drill down to what is most important. Thanks.

Reactions: bbqcle
I track
Smoker temp and when I change it or it changes
Outside temp, wind speed, humidity,
Type, weight, and cut of meat.
Taste
Would I do this again

I track
Smoker temp and when I change it or it changes
Outside temp, wind speed, humidity,
Type, weight, and cut of meat.
Taste
Would I do this again
yeahthat.gif

But I'd also add smoke type, seasoning/rub, brine/no brine, wrapped/not wrapped

I keep or kept a log on the computer. It really helps when it is a period of time between smoking certain types of meet. Nice reminder. Example, I don't do Prime Rib that often. 

I never keep a log book for smoking but I do for my curing stuff.

I use to log on my laptop.  After a year, maybe 2 years I figured out what worked for my beef pork and bird cooks. ... feedback from my family mostly help with direction and changes.  Those logs became our standards for seasoning and smoking method. 

Still... I'll mix it up a bit. Looking for the next great thing. I need to get back to those logs because on the rare occasion while attempting the next great thing something remarkable happens I can't remember what i did! 

I have never kept any log at all and I'm sorry about that.

Yeah, I'll remember how I did that, uh huh, BS.

I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

My hands are always messed up and logs and pictures

suffer for it.

I will start keeping a log of what I do, I will, I will, I will.

Ed

I keep a log of everything I Smoke.

Then I form them all into a Step by Step post, add pictures & captions, and post them on this forum.

Then as long as this Forum exists, I have all my stuff neatly in order, in an Index for myself & anyone else who wants to use them.

Here you go:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

That Link is also at the bottom of all of my posts (In my Signature).

Bear

Last edited:
I do not keep a log book, but things are getting harder to remember now!

So a log book would be a good idea.

I did a template on an App I use for work, but never used it, may be time!

I keep telling myself that I need to start a log book.
I would enter
Cut of meat & weight
Brined/ injected
Outside temp/weather
Smoking wood
Temp smoke @
Length of smoke
How many people it feed.

Good idea for allot of smokers but for me way to much work.....D'OH  
hit.gif

Being new to smoking, I have contemplated a log book until I figure out what the hell i'm doing.   I'm trying to figure out my own rubs so I don't have to rely on store bought.  I made up a little form to records the recipe and modifications I made to it.  I plan to keep that until I figure out a rub for beef and pork that my family likes.  I may now modify it to act as a log and keep track of everything from start to finish.  My thoughts were to print the form out, write all the processes in it, then get a binder and three hole punch them for storage and safe keeping. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky