Meat placement on smoker grates

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

viper12161

Original poster
Aug 30, 2018
Hey guys,

So I have a question. I have a Chargriller Duo that I have the attached firebox for. I did all the mods recommended for the Chargriller Pro and got it working pretty well. Inside my smoking chamber, I have the main grates and then the grates that attach to the cover...the one that moves when you open it. I have been doing some reading on smoking a pork butt...and many are saying to have a foil pan under it to catch drippings for reuse when shredding. To do this, would I put the meat on that upper rack that moves and the pan on the main grate below it? I feel like that might affect cooking not being on the main cooking surface, but if smoke is in entire chamber, maybe not. Or would I put the pan below the main grate on top of the baffle (this doesn't seem like a good option as its got an angle and is bent in the middle so I don't think pan will sit straight). I would also like to add that you guys freaking rock!!! Very new to the smoking thing and everyone has been awesome in helping out, so thank you!!!!

Reactions: JC in GB
I have just put a small metal rack inside a cooking tin pan Smoke will still circulate around to the bottom side. Put on main rack.

Reactions: JC in GB
I’ve had the same dilemma with my first COS. That top shelf can be a little shaky for a whole pork butt. I will have to second what Winterrider Winterrider said. I have put some small cooking racks on a metal pan and cooked butts like that to catch the drippings and it worked out really well. Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky