Meat Loaf Wrapped around Loaded Mashed Potatoes, mushroom gravy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Meat Loaf Wrapped around Loaded Mashed Potatoes, mushroom gravy

Have not posted for in a few , like most others , life gets in the way of the fun stuff.

Started with mashed potatoes , skin on , chopped bell pepper, celery, red onion and green onions. Mix all together after potatoes cool some.
Mix 2 1/2 pounds of hamburger with same items plus 2 eggs , lots of pepper, soya sauce and chopped bread.

DSC_6164.JPG DSC_6165.JPG

DSC_6166.JPG DSC_6167.JPG

Spread the meat out on to plastic wrap, this made a square about 12" x 16". than on that put thick layer of med cheddar cheese. Than spread the loaded mashed on top of that.
Now grab the edge and use the plastic to help roll. Pinch the ends to seal.

DSC_6168.JPG DSC_6169.JPG

DSC_6170.JPG DSC_6171.JPG

DSC_6172.JPG DSC_6173.JPG

Now I put this puppy in the freezer for 30 minutes to help keep shape for the first bit in the smoker. I also when going into the smoker I made a tight tin foil tray to help keep shape. This fella weights in at almost 4 pounds
In the smoker , temp at 325 F, with mesquite chips and chunk. It took about 2 1/4 hours to get to temp. Around 163 F / 159F ( 2 probes )
Brought out and into the broiler for 8 minutes with a mozza cheese cap

DSC_6174.JPG DSC_6175.JPG

DSC_6176.JPG

DSC_6177.JPG

Let sit for a few minutes while I finished up the mushroom gravy ( Mona likes canned mushrooms ) and me I could do with out either so she wins.

Sliced , nice smoke ring and the flavor of the loaded mashed and the cheddar cheese , very nice. The loaf was also very moist and nice flavour also.

DSC_6178.JPG

So plated with 2 slices and mushroom gravy and a little kale salad . I really enjoyed this and looking forward to more tomorrow.

DSC_6179.JPG

Little closer ,

DSC_6180.JPG

That's about it for tonights supper.

Thanks for looking

David

Phenomenal David, love everything on that plate… there is nothing on there I’d not make a pig out of myself devouring! Nice job man!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks fantastic!! Not a mushroom fan myself though!

Ever consider wrapping it in a bacon weave like a Fatty?

Nice looking fatty, oops I mean meatloaf David. Minus the schrooms I could easily eat a few slices.

Point for sure
Chris

Wow! That is incredible🥹 I’ve book marked for a go, it’s like a comfort food burrito!!!! Would have been a great entry for the throwdown! Awesome job, big points!

Looks great, we will add frozen and thawed spinach and mozzarella cheese and roll up once in awhile, really good stuff . Going to do 1 soon and try sharp white cheddar before Christmas I hope. work & other stuff getting in the way lol . thanks for sharing

Phenomenal David, love everything on that plate… there is nothing on there I’d not make a pig out of myself devouring! Nice job man!

Thanks Justin for the like and the comment

It was a very nice meal, great flavours also. Fun to do ( I am not a big mushroom fan , I can eat it instead of picking them out, added them to please Mona , hoping she will come around a bit with the smoked foods )
She did like it and I picked off most of the mushrooms on my plate and gave to her. :emoji_sunglasses:

David

Reactions: negolien
Looks fantastic!! Not a mushroom fan myself though!

Ever consider wrapping it in a bacon weave like a Fatty?

Thanks Kilo for the like and the comment

I'm not a room fan either, but I can do in small pieces, these were not small, lol
I have done a few basket weaves , thanks to Chris gmc2003 gmc2003 and his step by step on how . I really like the bacon weave on lots of things

David

Reactions: kilo charlie
Love smoked meatloaf and your idea of wrapping around mashed potatoes sounds really good!! Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks tbern for the like and the comment

I like smoked meatloaf also, have done a few. And love me some mashed potatoes , than "poof"
little voice said combine them, lol. It was very tasty

David

Nice looking fatty, oops I mean meatloaf David. Minus the schrooms I could easily eat a few slices.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

I to am not a big fan of the mushrooms, and I almost called it a fatty but had no bacon thawed out
or I would have had some bacon bits in the loaded mashed also.

I had 2 for supper and than just grabbed a slice on a plate while doing the dishes
( they are big slices as that is a large dinner plate the meal was on )

David

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky