Meat Jackpot!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So, I went to visit a friend of mine that lives in Kansas. It's an annual turkey hunt, but with the floods in 2019 and 2020 hatches were very low so the population in east Kansas is hurting. I told my buddy lets forget about turkeys this year and go fishing....so we did. caught a lot of fish. I bought home 5 gallon bags of cleaned fillets; white bass, crappie and walleye. We really got into the crappie so that is what most of the fillets are.

Buddy had a big fish fry scheduled for Saturday night. I brought a bunch of my stuff and put out a big charcuterie board with 10-12 different salumi on it. While at the party, found out my friends close buddy is moving to Montana. Talking to him, he asks me, hey-you want all the stuff in my freezer? Too much trouble to move it.

I said -absolutely!

came home with about 20# of whitetail deer...various cuts of meat off a buck that his wife hit with her truck during peek rut. nothing but one scratch on the truck, and the deer broke his neck as he hit the back bumper...DRT....meat was perfect.

Got some sage grouse(never had it before), sharptail grouse, hungarian partridge, turkey legs and thighs, and a few duck breasts.
Also got some frozen apples from their tree and some fresh frozen peaches too and concord grapes. Gonna make peach ice cream with those when my buddy comes down offshore fishing in about 2 months.

oh- and one jar of freezer grape jelly.

The venison..gonna grind it all with a rump roast and some brisket fat for another 50# of grind meat...
IMG_20210505_214209.jpg

all the rest..
IMG_20210505_214219.jpg

I'd say you scored! Sounds like you had a great trip!

Ryan

So, I went to visit a friend of mine that lives in Kansas. It's an annual turkey hunt, but with the floods in 2019 and 2020 hatches were very low so the population in east Kansas is hurting. I told my buddy lets forget about turkeys this year and go fishing....so we did. caught a lot of fish. I bought home 5 gallon bags of cleaned fillets; white bass, crappie and walleye. We really got into the crappie so that is what most of the fillets are.

Buddy had a big fish fry scheduled for Saturday night. I brought a bunch of my stuff and put out a big charcuterie board with 10-12 different salumi on it. While at the party, found out my friends close buddy is moving to Montana. Talking to him, he asks me, hey-you want all the stuff in my freezer? Too much trouble to move it.

I said -absolutely!

came home with about 20# of whitetail deer...various cuts of meat off a buck that his wife hit with her truck during peek rut. nothing but one scratch on the truck, and the deer broke his neck as he hit the back bumper...DRT....meat was perfect.

Got some sage grouse(never had it before), sharptail grouse, hungarian partridge, turkey legs and thighs, and a few duck breasts.
Also got some frozen apples from their tree and some fresh frozen peaches too and concord grapes. Gonna make peach ice cream with those when my buddy comes down offshore fishing in about 2 months.

oh- and one jar of freezer grape jelly.

The venison..gonna grind it all with a rump roast and some brisket fat for another 50# of grind meat...
View attachment 495450

all the rest..
View attachment 495451
Sage grouse are the best eating bird on this planet at least.:emoji_sunglasses:

Looks like a win all the way around.....Good visit with the friend, a mess of fish to bring home, a fish fry, and a bonus of a freezer full of meat.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky