Meat grinder recommendations.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hooked on smoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Southern California.
The way meat prices have jumped I'm thinking of buying a meat grinder to grind my own burger and pork. I have zero experience with this and would appreciate any suggestions. I'm not looking to break the bank as I will at this point just trying not to spend 6 plus dollars a pound for ground meat. I would however like something that will last awhile. Chuck roast was just on sale for 4.99lb and that would have saved a bundle. I do have a vacuum sealer so storing is not an issue.
Are there preferences to which cuts can be ground?
I appreciate everyone here and value your opinions especially on matters I know little about.
Thanks in advance.
Oh, I do have a Amazon prime account if that helps.

Reactions: JC in GB
My Harris Teeter sells ground chuck for $3.99 which is a good price and the work is already done.

I've heard people say chuck, brisket, and short ribs make an excellent ground beef for burgers - you'd ideally want around 20% fat in there.

You might peruse some of the threads listed below for more info...

Good luck

You won't go wrong grinding your own . I buy a lot of sub primals and use the trim for grind .
I grind briskets , beef knuckles , pork butts you name it . I buy whole spares and grind up the trim from that . I'll grind pork butts and store it unseasoned in 1 pound bags . If I need breakfast or Italian , I thaw a pound and mix it up .

The LEM #8 suggestion is a good one . Don't buy cheap .

My Harris Teeter sells ground chuck for $3.99 which is a good price and the work is already done.

I've heard people say chuck, brisket, and short ribs make an excellent ground beef for burgers - you'd ideally want around 20% fat in there.

You might peruse some of the threads listed below for more info...

Good luck
Thanks for your input. I will definitely check below.

My vote goes to LEM as well. I had a cheap no name one for a few years then upgraded to a LEM big bite #12. Night and day difference.

I grind several hundred pounds of deer every year and with the LEM it grinds faster than I can load it. Keep an eye out for sales, that's when I bought mine.

Cabelas commercial grinders are rated very high as well... I have the .5 hp and it's more than enough... If there is a Cabelas close by you can stop by and check one out...

I have a LEM #5 Big Bite. It does everything I want. But I would like a #8 or #12 to make it go faster. I can't feed enough into the #5 to slow it down, just limited to the size of the throat/head.

Get the biggest honkin' grinder your wallet will justify. You won't regret going too big, but you may if you go too small. I have an 8# Weston, and while it does all I ask of it, a bigger grinder would save me some knifework in prepping the meat to grind. I will upgrade to a bigger grinder at some point.

If I were to buy one today at an entry level grinder I would go with the LEM #8 big bite. LEM makes good quality equipment.
I'm looking at grinders and notice that Academy has the LEM #8 Big Bite listed here, but says it's a .35 HP motor. The LEM website has the #8 listed at .5 HP here and their #5 is .35 HP here. Can anyone clarify what's up? I'd like to buy from Academy because I have a gift card...

I'm looking at grinders and notice that Academy has the LEM #8 Big Bite listed here, but says it's a .35 HP motor. The LEM website has the #8 listed at .5 HP here and their #5 is .35 HP here. Can anyone clarify what's up? I'd like to buy from Academy because I have a gift card...
Double check the rating. LEM did, in the past, have lower HP models but upgraded a several years ago. You may be looking at 'new old stock'! Or it may be just a misprint.

Can anyone clarify what's up?
The link you put up says item no. W779 . When I search that number it comes up as LEM #8 .35 hp grinder .
Old Sarge is probably right . Old stock " Pre " big bite maybe ?
500 watt would be the .5 HP range .

I have a Cabela's 1.5 HP. It takes longer to clean it then it does to grind 10-15 pounds of meat.Maybe overkill for you but just don't buy an undersized model . Any cheap beef will make a good burger,you may need to add a bit of fat to some lean cuts like an eye of the round .I like to grind pork butt for homemade sausage(bulk for patties is good) and I save the back fat cap to add to real lean beef. You still get a good beef flavor and a burger that won't fall apart!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky