Meat Grinder Cleaning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobdog46

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Ponchatoula Louisiana
I have a Cabelas Pro 450 grinder and have a problem.  A friend put some of the parts(meat tray, screw and screw housing  in the dishwasher. It was shiny stainless steel prior to going in the dishwasher and came out a dark gray. I am having a hard time getting this back to normal color.  Does anybody have ideas what might work? 

I accidently did the same thing with mine. Its a lost cause to get it back to the shiny state it once was.

I have been able to get most of the black off with a combination of boiling in cream of tartar and making a homemade aluminum polish. I am still afraid to use it again.

I am hopefully going to have Cabelas replace it for me. Love the grinder otherwise.

PS, the product is actually made by Waring. The replacements parts are on their website but are quite expensive. Gonna cost me about 90 bucks or more to replace them.  Hopefully a call to Customer Service will help me out.

Okay - Its not stainless steel - it is polished aluminum- and it has turned dark gray. I have tried scrubbing with a scour pad and it helps a little but not much- I sure hope I can find something to remove it.

Thanks   BD

It doesn't affect the performance of the grinder. I don't see what the big deal is.
confused.gif
After awhile of use, it will get to that look anyway.

But.. if you must.. you can always buff and polish the aluminum with a wheel and rouge/aluminum polish or a dremel tool with a cotton wheel and rouge/aluminum polish.

Good Luck.

It's perfectly safe to use. I have the Waring grinder as well, and called customer service regarding using a dishwasher. What I was told is that the parts are plated metal, and they are not designed to withstand the high temperatures  and the chemicals in dishwasher detergent. While not looking very nice the dicolouration of the parts has no effect on the performance or the safety of the product. It is more of a cosmetic issue( people don't like seeing their bits look all grey & sooty). They did tell me that repeated use of a dishwasher could cause the plating to flake off. This in itself is not a health hazard, but most people would not be that impressed with seeing a bit of metal in their food regardless of how inert it may be.

I accidently did the same thing with mine. Its a lost cause to get it back to the shiny state it once was.

I have been able to get most of the black off with a combination of boiling in cream of tartar and making a homemade aluminum polish. I am still afraid to use it again.

I am hopefully going to have Cabelas replace it for me. Love the grinder otherwise.

When I talked to Waring, they said that it was not safe to use anymore. Hmm, do they just want me to buy the new parts?

It's not that they want you to buy new parts(although I'm sure they would like that), it's that they are being cautious with the answer. Waring's owners manual says the parts are not dishwasher safe, so given that, when you called and told them what happened, the person basically said the parts aren't any good any more.

When I called Waring, I specifically asked why the parts are not dishwasher safe. At that point customer service transfered me to someone more knowledgeable about the manufacture and the reasons why that caution is there.

When I talked to Waring, they said that it was not safe to use anymore. Hmm, do they just want me to buy the new parts?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky