meat for snacksticks??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

les3176

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
harborcreek,pa
Now that the wife bought me a meat grinder for x-mas and some jerky kits i'm now excited to make some snacksticks.I have read alot of threads on here about them but i'm still alittle confused and have some questions.First,what types of meats to use? and in what combinations,can i use beef and pork together?if so can i use ground chuck or buy some type of roast?Second,maybe third LOL, do i need to use pork trim or fat with this?Wife got me several differant stuffing tubes along with the ones that came with the grinder so whats the best size and casing to use? I was thinking the 19mm or 21mm something small they are the collagen is that the best to use for this? Any help or ideas would be great Thanks,les

Hey Les Congrats on the new toy. I like to use a 60/40 ratio pork to beef. The pork is usually butt or shoulder and the beef is what ever is on sale, quite often it's 80/20 ground beef. You wouldn't need to add trim or fat if you go with the butt or shoulder as they have enough to do the job. I always use 19mm collagen casings which requires a 3/8" tube, check you tubes  to see if it fits the casing before you start. I'd hate to see you mix up 10 pounds of mix and not be able to stuff it.

Have fun, Dan

icon_cool.gif

Congrats on the new grinder and first off NO you can't grind up the dog. I tried and they are too tough. But cat now. Now I have used a mixture like Dan told you of pork and beef then I have used venison and pork also. Now the ky is the limit for you and your new toy. The next thing that I would get is "The Bible" of sausage making and thats the sausage and curing meat handbook by Rytek Kutez or something like that. It has alot of really good sausage recipes too.

Hey Les Congrats on the new toy. I like to use a 60/40 ratio pork to beef. The pork is usually butt or shoulder and the beef is what ever is on sale, quite often it's 80/20 ground beef. You wouldn't need to add trim or fat if you go with the butt or shoulder as they have enough to do the job. I always use 19mm collagen casings which requires a 3/8" tube, check you tubes  to see if it fits the casing before you start. I'd hate to see you mix up 10 pounds of mix and not be able to stuff it.

Have fun, Dan
I agree with Dan on the 19mm tubes and collagen casings.   I had to rush over to a buddy's house to borrow his 3/8 nozzle when I discovered that was all i had was the 19mm.    I used ground beef/pork at 80/20 on my last batch.   I prefer to grind my own beef from chuck but had bought a half a beef while back and have a bunch of burger to use up.

Like mballi said, I would recommend Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas. All kinds of recipes and chapters on which meats are best for processing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky