• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Meat for sausages curing question..

dernektambura

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 12, 2017
I have a question about curing a meat for sausages... Over the years I strictly followed my grandpa old recipe making hungarian smoked and dry cured sausages...
Ground and mince fresh meat, add spices and paprika... stuff them in a casings... cold smoke for about week and hang it in cold room for about month to mont and a half...
Now about my question:
What about curing the meat for 2 weeks before grinding it and making a sausages?
cut the meat in small chunks, add spices, salt and cure #2... Vacuum in bags and let it cure... Then smoke and continue with dry cure...Would it this way turn better tasting or doesn't really make any difference...
Thanks for guidance...

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
I too learned from my 'Grandpa' (and actually the Great Grandpa) methods for sausage, bacon, hams, and home canning.

BUT, science has stepped in, and there are some updated guidelines. I'd so some investigation on those dry curing methods with Cure #2 for salami and such. And proceed with a plan.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.