Measuring stuffer tube size

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Doug b

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
Are the plastic stuffing tubes measured form the inside, or outside? Example, Waltons chart shows to use a 10mm tube for 18mm collagens.
I want to do some snack sticks and the collagen casings I have are 18 mm and says to use a 1/2 " o.d tube. My tube is 11/16" o.d. Very tight fit, what casings size would i need to fit over this tube? I dont understand how the tube size are measured, inside diamiter or outer? Thank you in advance.

Are the plastic stuffing tubes measured form the inside, or outside? Example, Waltons chart shows to use a 10mm tube for 18mm collagens.
I want to do some snack sticks and the collagen casings I have are 18 mm and says to use a 1/2 " o.d tube. My tube is 11/16" o.d. Very tight fit, what casings size would i need to fit over this tube? I dont understand how the tube size are measured, inside diamiter or outer? Thank you in advance.
My apologys, my casings are 19mm not 18

I always assumed they were talking about O.D. but I'm not sure. I think you should see about getting a 1/2" steel tube. I've done 16mm and it was fairly tight but 19mm works well.
10mm is pretty small! Do they even come in that size?

O.D. and not all tubes match the size it says it is. Yes, you will need a 10 mm tube to stuff 18mm casings and you can stuff 19mm casings with a 1/2-inch tube. you need a little room when stuffing collagens. You can google sausage stuffing tubes and get some ideas whats out there. LEM has a good variety or you can make one yourself.

Boykjo

Last edited:
Reactions: sawhorseray
Another one here that made his snack stick tube from Pex. Heated the end a bit and flared it with what worked. Grabbed a stainless washer thar fit over the pex and also seated inside the threads that screws onto my stuffer. Works flawlessly.

Another one here that made his snack stick tube from Pex. Heated the end a bit and flared it with what worked. Grabbed a stainless washer thar fit over the pex and also seated inside the threads that screws onto my stuffer. Works flawlessly.
Ordered a 10 mm off ebay today.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky