Mealy texture on venison "HAM", trying to remedy on next one

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

corybrown50

Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Hello all,

Looking for some insight on venison ham and an issue I had last time I did one. I used LEM's "Sweeter than Sweet" deer ham brine. The directions say 4-5 days for brining, which at the time after reading many posts here, I thought was rather short. Well....I followed the directions and it tasted awesome, except towards the middle the meat had a different texture, much softer and almost mealy.....no gray coloring, just a very different texture in the mouth. This was bone in and injected profusely. Finish cook was at 150ish....

Well, I've got another in the fridge working right now and I'm trying to make sure I don't get the same result as before. Probably a good 1/3 was inedible for me. Is it just a matter of needing to brine longer? Should I have cooked to a higher finish temp? Any idea for a difference in texture deeper in the muscle groups?

Thank you for any help...

Attachments

• Backwoods Ham Kit   Sweeter Than Sweet   LEM Products.png
    Backwoods Ham Kit Sweeter Than Sweet LEM Products.png
    135.5 KB · Views: 11
Hello all,

Looking for some insight on venison ham and an issue I had last time I did one. I used LEM's "Sweeter than Sweet" deer ham brine. The directions say 4-5 days for brining, which at the time after reading many posts here, I thought was rather short. Well....I followed the directions and it tasted awesome, except towards the middle the meat had a different texture, much softer and almost mealy.....no gray coloring, just a very different texture in the mouth. This was bone in and injected profusely. Finish cook was at 150ish....

Well, I've got another in the fridge working right now and I'm trying to make sure I don't get the same result as before. Probably a good 1/3 was inedible for me. Is it just a matter of needing to brine longer? Should I have cooked to a higher finish temp? Any idea for a difference in texture deeper in the muscle groups?

Thank you for any help...

Hi there and welcome!

I have no experience with Venison hams BUT my wild/feral hog hams I cooked to an IT (internal temp) of 165-168F and they came out with no issue. You gotta take the wild pork up that high or risk getting parasites.

My guess is that you didn't get your venison ham cooked enough near the bone or deep in the leg. Don't be afraid to raise that IT up, plus it is better protection against any micro-nasties that the cure may not kill :)

I hope this helps and please do post a picture of the finished product! :)

Here is what my hams looked like, they were small off a 60 pound feral hog.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky