1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

McIlhenney Plantaion Prime Rib Rub (Tabasco; Avery Island, Louisiana)

Discussion in 'Sauces, Rubs & Marinades' started by indaswamp, Mar 13, 2019.

1. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Here's the rub I use on beef Prime rib, and beef ribs. It came from the executive chef @ McIlhenney Plantation which is home of the famous Tabasco hot sauce. The recipe was given to me by a friend that runs a Duck hunting lodge in Arkansas. He got it from the man himself.

1 cup + 2 tbsp Salt

1/4 cup + 3 1/2 tbsp black pepper

3 tbsp paprika

1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar

1/4 cup + 2 tbsp garlic powder

1/4 cup + 2 tbsp accent

allow to sit for 24 hours

Simple, but it is money on beef.....

2. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Man,that sounds like a lot of MSG!
    I am not averse to MSG,as it doesn't affect me like some people.

3. indaswamp

Makes almost 4 cups of rub. It's not as much MSG as it looks...and you are only using about 1/2 TBSP. per pound of meat so.....

4. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit OTBS Member

True,that was a knee-jerk statement...

5. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good. I was expecting some Heat in there. Years ago my wife found a bottle of Tabasco Powder coated Red Pepper Flakes. Man that stuff lit up a slice of Pizza! Had the Tabasco Heat, the Vinegar Tang and the back burner of the Red Pepper Flakes...JJ

6. indaswamp

My understanding is that when they want to do a spicy one, they rub the prime rib down with Tabasco. BTW, they make a family reserve Tabasco, which is made from the peppers grown on site. It is aged 5 years and made with white wine vinegar. You can not buy it, you have to be given a bottle by one of the family. We put one in an auction for one of the cancer organizations....it brought in $20,000.

chef jimmyj likes this.
  7. solman

solman Meat Mopper

i definitely want to try this. i changed out the ingredient portions to ratios in case anyone wants to make a smaller batch.

12 part salt
    5 part black pepper
    2 part paprika
    12 part sugar
    4 part garlic powder
    4 part accent

indaswamp, pc farmer and motocrash like this.
  8. weev

weev Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Awesome that sounds like a good one to try

9. indaswamp

weev likes this.
  10. Looks good and i like the idea of a hot sauce rub before the dry rub. Is the salt kosher or fine.

11. indaswamp

fine table salt...I use morton's no iodine...