MB's official statement on wet or dry chips.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have been experimenting with the AMZN 6 tube in my MES 30. I've found it works great on the lowest rack on the left,vent wide open. I leave the chip loader half out. I love Todd's products. It's like having a new smoker.
One thing I know is having a vent stack can be key to improving air flow. I'm going to buy a 3 foot length of PVC pipe which is bigger then vent on top, between adding that it may be enough to pull consistently through the grease drain hole. If that doesn't work; The other option would be, if your not going to use the wood chip adding tube is pull it out and cram a piece of foil in the hole but leave it open by about half the hole size. Keep in mind I haven't tried this yet but I will this weekend, this idea it is knowledge gained from working with other wood burners. Nothing like a 3 foot pipe on top to get a good draft.

According to Masterbuilt website; https://masterbuilt.com/product/20078715-30-digital-electric-smoker-3/

"You may use dry or pre-soaked wood chips in your smoker. Dry chips will burn faster and produce more intense smoke. Chips pre-soaked in water (for approximately 30 minutes) will burn slower and produce a less intense smoke."
I never soak wood chips but I really only use them anymore in my Weber kettle charcoal grill. Soaked chips really last no longer than dry. And as SmokinAl wrote wet chips generate steam along with smoke. I've been using my AMNTS but I'm trying still trying to find a spot where the airflow is sufficient and I can get to it to pour in more wood pellets. I typically place it near the charcoal but the pellets keep flaming out.

That's a gen 2, so remove the pan, left side, and set the maze over the hole in the slanted drip tray. Tent with foil for protection from drips...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky