MB Gravity Series Mods review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, having not heard a whole lot one way or the other on the LSS I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 1050 Elite Package just now.

The hybrid manifold cover / water pan from Klotes is really interesting and I like the concept but opted for the LSS manifold cover because it offers more protection to the stock manifold, which is the primary reason I want a manifold cover in the first place. The LSS cover extends down around the sides of the manifold while the Klotes cover just sits atop the stock manifold without offering any additional protection to the sides.

The pictures of the manifold cover on Klotes website also leave a lot to desired. Really rough edges on some of those welds, to the point that I'd be concerned about cutting myself when taking it off for cleaning. If that is what they are showing on the website I expect that's what will show up if I order it. Maybe not an issue, but enough to give me pause.

Once I receive and install the LSS mod pack I'll do my best to get some more info posted to SMF for others to use.

Reactions: 912smoker
The main thread is huge now and it would take one a long time to sort through it for answers. Now that we have all had these things for a year or so, I would like to do a reset thread to discuss the mods only.

Please list the mods you have done and the pros and cons of each now that you have a bunch of cooks under your belt with them.

I personally haven't really done much with mods, this is what I have done:

1)Battery Pack and cable. Pros: This is excellent. I have done 12 hour cooks and only used 20% of the battery life. No need to drag an extension cord across the yard. Cons: None that I have found.

2)Ash Bin Grate. I had a grate from something laying around that I bent one side for the angle side of the ash bin. Pros: Keeps wood chunks out of the ash for cleaner burn. Cons: This is probably more related to mine but it doesn't keep larger chunks that fall from falling into the ash. I believe the expandable metal would probably be way better.

3)Hopper Lid Gasket. Pros: In theory, reduce leaks for better consumption and heat control. Cons: The lavalock I bought was 1/2" x 1/8". Thicker and wider will probably work way better.
Hi,
I have been thinking about a battery pack for my gravity 800. I know absolutely nothing about electrical. So when I saw you post I figured I'd ask. What type of battery pack and cable are you using?

Well, having not heard a whole lot one way or the other on the LSS I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 1050 Elite Package just now.

The hybrid manifold cover / water pan from Klotes is really interesting and I like the concept but opted for the LSS manifold cover because it offers more protection to the stock manifold, which is the primary reason I want a manifold cover in the first place. The LSS cover extends down around the sides of the manifold while the Klotes cover just sits atop the stock manifold without offering any additional protection to the sides.

The pictures of the manifold cover on Klotes website also leave a lot to desired. Really rough edges on some of those welds, to the point that I'd be concerned about cutting myself when taking it off for cleaning. If that is what they are showing on the website I expect that's what will show up if I order it. Maybe not an issue, but enough to give me pause.

Once I receive and install the LSS mod pack I'll do my best to get some more info posted to SMF for others to use.

You got it backwards.
Klotes extends beyond the top creating a 1/2" roof over the sides -- I verified this with them in chat and saw the online photo
LSS does not -- you can see in the LSS video and I also verified there is no overhang with Luke, the owner.

Last edited:
Reactions: dow

I have the LSS firebox insert, manifold cover and water pan. I installed the insert prior to using my GF 800 for the first time. I don't see any signs of warping but have only seared steaks +500F a few times. I wrap the manifold cover in foil for easier clean up. Only used the water pan a couple of times. Will probably order the drip pan brackets to use under the grates for even easier clean up.

Reactions: mcokevin
You got it backwards.
Klotes extends beyond the top creating a 1/2" roof over the sides -- I verified this with them in chat and saw the online photo
LSS does not -- you can see in the LSS video and I also verified there is no overhang with Luke, the owner.
Looks like you’re right. I mistook the non rusty factory manifold in LSS’s photo for it extending down below 🤣

I still think I’d have gone with the LSS even if I didn’t get mixed up. I have caught myself on jagged metal edges before and it gets ugly fast.

Has anyone applied gasket material along the top and/or bottom edges of the grill body itself to make the lid seal tighter? Would that interfere with closing it?
Also, my new 560 got caught out in the rain while cooling down and I was surprised at the amount of water that collected inside. I assume that was because of both the split top lid and the large vent opening.

I am not sure why he was surprised the right side was slightly cooler. It is exactly what I expected when he double up the deflector instead of cutting it.

Just ordered the redesigned grate. Seriously considering this heat shield. I can throw this in the dishwasher & I like this concept better than the LSS mod.

Still interested to hear from people that have the LSS mods.
I have the water pan insert, manifold plate and hopper lid cover plate from LSS mods. The only issue I have had so far is with the hopper cover plate. It has a fabric material around the outside edge and when it heats up it likes to stick.

The main thread is huge now and it would take one a long time to sort through it for answers. Now that we have all had these things for a year or so, I would like to do a reset thread to discuss the mods only.

Please list the mods you have done and the pros and cons of each now that you have a bunch of cooks under your belt with them.

I personally haven't really done much with mods, this is what I have done:

1)Battery Pack and cable. Pros: This is excellent. I have done 12 hour cooks and only used 20% of the battery life. No need to drag an extension cord across the yard. Cons: None that I have found.

2)Ash Bin Grate. I had a grate from something laying around that I bent one side for the angle side of the ash bin. Pros: Keeps wood chunks out of the ash for cleaner burn. Cons: This is probably more related to mine but it doesn't keep larger chunks that fall from falling into the ash. I believe the expandable metal would probably be way better.

3)Hopper Lid Gasket. Pros: In theory, reduce leaks for better consumption and heat control. Cons: The lavalock I bought was 1/2" x 1/8". Thicker and wider will probably work way better.
I haven't been on in awhile so this battery pack is new to me, where do you find this?

Please elaborate on rear vent slide?

Rick
To act as a dampner and have better control of smoke exhaust. Still haven't found anything that would work for cheap without buying the.mod.
Saw some guys at a comp that used balled up tinfoil to clog the gap.

Keith

Reactions: Cody_Mack
To act as a dampner and have better control of smoke exhaust. Still haven't found anything that would work for cheap without buying the.mod.
Saw some guys at a comp that used balled up tinfoil to clog the gap.

Keith
The magnetic strip from Harbor Freight is what I was curious about. As far as damper mods the one from Klotesmods looks preferable over the LSS Mods. Kind of pricey for either one though, but then again a significant fuel savings could pay for it.

BTW, brand new 1050 owner here; got it for B-day and just getting over illness, so started assembling it today.

Rick

Glad you're better and Im home witj the virus this week. My daughter and wife had it last week , all with flu-like symptoms.
Congrats on the new MBGF ! Love mine and I'm sure you will too!
Smoked thick pork chops tonight for 1 1/2 hrs @ 225 then cranked her up to 650 for a sear.
Still looking for a magnetic strip wide enough to work.

Keith

Glad you're better and Im home witj the virus this week. My daughter and wife had it last week , all with flu-like symptoms.
Congrats on the new MBGF ! Love mine and I'm sure you will too!
Smoked thick pork chops tonight for 1 1/2 hrs @ 225 then cranked her up to 650 for a sear.
Still looking for a magnetic strip wide enough to work.

Keith
Get better soon.

I've got pneumonia. Got me layed up.

Thanks tb! I finally tested positive on Tues and body ache is a little better but congestion and tiredness is kicking my tail. Still haven't lost smell or taste 🙏.

Keith

I have the MB800 in my car and will be assembling when I get home next week. does anyone have a link to the lavalock that was mentioned earlier as a better product than the LSS cover? I will probably only be smoking not searing is the water pan still suggested? Anything else?

Also what does everyone use to start the coals on these?

thx Cliff

Damn and I passed them on the way home from Walmart not that I had room in the car anyway…..lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky