Mayonnaise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ozarkboy2

Original poster
Hey everybody!

I'm grilling chicken thigh's tomorrow, and have seen several post' about covering the skin with Mayonnaise
duck.gif
and it seams that the results are what I'd rather have. But have never tried it, so we're giving it a shot tomorrow. From what I've read it's supposed to give a nice crunchy skin.

I'll let y'all know what happens.

Bob

All in all, I liked the chicken. Maybe I was expecting a crunchier skin, maybe if I ran the grill at a little higher temp, or didn't use my water pan that I am addicted too? Still there was a light tangy taste from the MW (Miracle Whip, and that was nice) and the Mayonnaise really held the dry rub on. That alone was helped on the flavor.

I ran the gill around 225* for just over 90 minutes, for 1 pretty nice sized chicken thighs, bone in, and skin on. Shortly after the chicken broke the 165* mark I pulled everything off. We all liked it, I'd do it again, but I'll try to get a little crunchier skin, higher temp, or lose my water pan???
drool.gif

Unk Bob
065cbaec_Mayo1.jpg
ce33ea89_Mayo2.jpg
193198a5_Mayo3.jpg

They look good.........
icon14.gif
  Run chicken thighs at 275 next time... At the end of the cook place them close to the heat source to crisp up.. Forget the water pan.. thighs have enough fat content to keep them juicy..........

Thanks, I'll have to give that a shot next time. Though the mayonnaise really did help the skin quite a bit. The picture where the meat is still in the grill, you can see the skin looks great!

I'm doing a small beef brisket Saturday.... Yes I like cooking outside
th_INGardenbbq7.gif

Unk Bob

Interesting, I had thought the MW would be a bit tangy and now I know 8-) .

The Mayo. would be better IMHO.:)-

You should try Corn with Mayo on it...peel the husk back , take off Silk , cover completely with the Mayo ,pull the Husk back over the Ear and Roast/Grill to your liking (I like mine a bit toasty, blacken  the Husk). 

I call it Street Vendor Corn , I discovered it in Neuevo Laredo , Mex. at one of the little food stands...

You should try Corn with Mayo on it...peel the husk back , take off Silk , cover completely with the Mayo ,pull the Husk back over the Ear and Roast/Grill to your liking (I like mine a bit toasty, blacken  the Husk). 

I call it Street Vendor Corn , I discovered it in Neuevo Laredo , Mex. at one of the little food stands...
yep thats a mexican thing alright....lol. mayo,cheese,chili,salt,and pepper...haha. raised on it as a child. some ppl like to load taters, we load corn..hahaha

Unk Bob...if ur not adverse to mayo, give that a try next time vs the MW. From what i googled, MW has a very low oil content...which is why it cant be labled/sold as mayo. Possibly that's why it didnt get as crisp???

And no low fat mayo, either...lol.  Too much water content.  Learned that the hard way (again, via google...lol) after my cole slaw and tater salad kept beeing too runny.

And yeah, T&B...corn rolled in mayo and cheese...YUMMY! What kinda cheese did y'all use as a kid?

Last edited:
Unk Bob...if ur not adverse to mayo, give that a try next time vs the MW. From what i googled, MW has a very low oil content...which is why it cant be labled/sold as mayo. Possibly that's why it didnt get as crisp???

And no low fat mayo, either...lol.  Too much water content.  Learned that the hard way (again, via google...lol) after my cole slaw and tater salad kept beeing too runny.

And yeah, T&B...corn rolled in mayo and cheese...YUMMY! What kinda cheese did y'all use as a kid?
we used all kinds of cheeses that my family would make but primarily parmesan type cheese or a crumbled queso cotija...when we were little we used to run around yelling...EEEWWWW foot cheese foot cheese!! hahaha. and then sit there and devour them one after the other...

Last edited:
we used all kinds of cheeses that my family would make but primarily parmesan type cheese or a crumbled queso cotija...when we were little we used to run around yelling...EEEWWWW foot cheese foot cheese!! hahaha. and then sit there and devour them one after the other...

LOL!!! It IS smelly....hahaha. That's all I've used, but thought I saw Martha Stewart (yessss, Martha!) using white crumbly Mexican cheese...Queso something. Fresco, maybe??? Does that sound familiar?

LOL!!! It IS smelly....hahaha. That's all I've used, but thought I saw Martha Stewart (yessss, Martha!) using white crumbly Mexican cheese...Queso something. Fresco, maybe??? Does that sound familiar?
yeh you could use either, queso cotija or queso fresco. cotija is more aged and saltier, fresco is well, fresh cheese. lol. in mexican food cotija is used like parmesan. and queso fresco is often referred to as "mexican crumble cheese".

Last edited:
yeh you could use either, queso cotija or queso fresco. cotija is more aged and saltier, fresco is well, fresh cheese. lol. in mexican food cotija is used like parmesan. and queso fresco is often referred to as "mexican crumble cheese".

Ahhh...the cotija was probably it! Remember her saying it was similiar to parm as far as salt. Will have to look out for that.....thx!

Saved!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky