mayo?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ravenclan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 8, 2009
Newalla,Oklahoma
I see Jeff and others using mayo to help the dry rub stick to the meat.

I was always taught not to let the mayo get warm due to what it is made of and could make you sick . is this not the case any more??

thanks in advance .

Happy smoking and have a great Labor day weekend!!

It's made with eggs and oil. Both things you would cook by themselves. Nothing wrong with heating or cooking mayo.

In fact putting mayo on the bread for a grilled cheese is better than butter in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

because of the egg in mayo, it needs to follow the same 40-140 rule as meat. That is where the don't let it get warm advice comes in. It's fine to cook with, but put it on a sandwich or potato salad and into a picnic basket for 4-6 hrs and you are asking for trouble. For extended times like that it needs to stay below 40 or above 140,

For as long as there have been school lunch bags and lunch box's and men taking lunch pails to work, there have been mayo on sandwiches in them. Bah! Humbug!.. lol

I have used mayo to coat salmon before BBQ'ing...  I find it has better flavor than butter in that application....  I did a side by side, with butter, on the fishing boat I cooked on...   The crew said the same...

I have marinated ribeyes with mayo and seasonings in a ziplock bag overnight then grilled them the next day. Outstanding results! Makes a very tasty char/bark. I can see how it would be good with fish done that way too.

Brush mayo on raw corn on the cob, sprinkle on some fresh ground pepper and Johnny's Great Cesar Garlic Parmesan seasoning, and toss it on a hot grill! Super tasty grilled corn!

Johnny R.

For as long as there have been school lunch bags and lunch box's and men taking lunch pails to work, there have been mayo on sandwiches in them. Bah! Humbug!.. lol
I have mayo on all my lunch sammies. They sit in my lunch bag in the truck with me all day. No problem.

Gary
Won't say I have't done it too, cuz I have and still do. We've all bent the rules a bit. As I tell customers, the risk I take with my food and the risk I take with yours are two different things. I will pay the price for my stupidity but I won't ask or tell you to. I only take these risk with food that I will be the only one eating. For family, I play by the rules.

Last edited:
Well.. is a bunch of people here that think they are responsible for the safety of millions.. it's just going to be that way. Nothing you can do or say will lift that burden from their shoulders.. [emoji]129299[/emoji]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky