maybe stupid question....asking anyway

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

killnsmoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
st.louis MO
i have alot of metal 5 gallon buckets here at work that used to hold lacquer thinner.  if i burn out the inside inside of the bucket will it be safe to make a cold smoke generator out of ???  i know alot of guys here are using old propane tanks, so it might work fine.  let me know. 

icon_cool.gif

In my eyes leave them at work. I don't think that I would take the chance. The lacquer thinner might have somehow seepted into the metal. I know I wouldn't want to find out that it did. Yes there are alot of folks here making smokers out of old propane tanks but thats not the same thing as a bucket.

sweet, just wanted some opinions.....cant wait to get my smoker built just trying to get it all worked out before i start.

basically you are smoking the cured meat with out cooking it.  Just adding flavor to whatever you're smoking.

I agree with Mark on the barrels - not worth the chance for me anyway. You do know you can use a cardboard box right? Just do a search and you will find it

Geronimo

Here is a link to cold smoking I got by doing a search using the search bar under the banner and entering "cold smoking"

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/search.php?search=cold+smoking

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky