• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

maybe stupid question....asking anyway

killnsmoke

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 20, 2010
i have alot of metal 5 gallon buckets here at work that used to hold lacquer thinner.  if i burn out the inside inside of the bucket will it be safe to make a cold smoke generator out of ???  i know alot of guys here are using old propane tanks, so it might work fine.  let me know. 

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

In my eyes leave them at work. I don't think that I would take the chance. The lacquer thinner might have somehow seepted into the metal. I know I wouldn't want to find out that it did. Yes there are alot of folks here making smokers out of old propane tanks but thats not the same thing as a bucket.

killnsmoke

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 20, 2010
sweet, just wanted some opinions.....cant wait to get my smoker built just trying to get it all worked out before i start.

geronimo

Joined Nov 20, 2010
This is Geronimo,

Can some one explain to me,' Cold ' Smoking? How do you do it?

killnsmoke

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 20, 2010
basically you are smoking the cured meat with out cooking it.  Just adding flavor to whatever you're smoking.

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
I agree with Mark on the barrels - not worth the chance for me anyway. You do know you can use a cardboard box right? Just do a search and you will find it

Geronimo

Here is a link to cold smoking I got by doing a search using the search bar under the banner and entering "cold smoking"

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/search.php?search=cold+smoking

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.