maybe stupid question....asking anyway

Discussion in 'UDS Builds' started by killnsmoke, Dec 29, 2010.

1. killnsmoke

killnsmoke Smoke Blower

i have alot of metal 5 gallon buckets here at work that used to hold lacquer thinner.  if i burn out the inside inside of the bucket will it be safe to make a cold smoke generator out of ???  i know alot of guys here are using old propane tanks, so it might work fine.  let me know. 

2. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

In my eyes leave them at work. I don't think that I would take the chance. The lacquer thinner might have somehow seepted into the metal. I know I wouldn't want to find out that it did. Yes there are alot of folks here making smokers out of old propane tanks but thats not the same thing as a bucket.

3. killnsmoke

killnsmoke Smoke Blower

sweet, just wanted some opinions.....cant wait to get my smoker built just trying to get it all worked out before i start.

4. This is Geronimo,

Can some one explain to me,' Cold ' Smoking? How do you do it?

5. killnsmoke

killnsmoke Smoke Blower

basically you are smoking the cured meat with out cooking it.  Just adding flavor to whatever you're smoking.

6. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I agree with Mark on the barrels - not worth the chance for me anyway. You do know you can use a cardboard box right? Just do a search and you will find it

Geronimo

Here is a link to cold smoking I got by doing a search using the search bar under the banner and entering "cold smoking"

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/search.php?search=cold+smoking

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010