• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Maybe Sous vide newbie?

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 20, 2015
I've been on the fence about sous vide cooking for awhile now. After using one in my culinary course, I'm leaning more towards one. My question is, can I get away with a basic Walmart one, or would that be a waste of money? Not sure how much I'd actually use it. We do have a pile of pork chops and beef steaks so one may come in handy.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
the inkbird 1000w is on amazon for 76.95 with a coupon. I am more of the buy once cry once. cheap anything usually breaks and makes me super frustrated to have wasted the cash on crap.

SV is fun, easy, and a great addition to the smoker and grill. Try one, if you dont dig it, re-gift it.

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Not sure how much the Wal-mart one is but Dave is right the Inkbird on amazon is a great deal. I have one and it is a solid unit. I just started on SV and I love it so far!

kruizer

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 7, 2015
I use the Anova sous vide stick and it works very well. Connects to my cell phone with blue tooth so it is very convenient to use from the next room.

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 4, 2011
You are gonna like it, I use mine for perfect steaks and then put the grill marks on em

mosparky

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 11, 2015
I'm with the others on the Inkbird unit. Only used mine once so far, but it was amazing.
I have my own biases on stuff from Walmart. I can't imagine Walmart selling one as good for anywhere near the Inkbird price.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 20, 2015
Thanks for the input guys! May have to look into ordering one.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Hoping you like it kawboy I just can't bring myself to the idea of cooking something twice I mean in the sv then on the grill! I'm a person that hates microwaves don't like heated up meals. Just me. :emoji_fearful:

Warren

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
You are gonna like it, I use mine for perfect steaks and then put the grill marks on em
Same - they are killer good! perfect medium rare edge to edge. I use my torch too. no pan no grill, just MR perfection with a hint of char.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.