Max temps for non-insulated cedar smokehouse.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oregonsmoke

Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Tillamook Oregon
Hello to All. I am currently in the process of building a smokehouse out of cedar fence boards. Rough measurements are 3'x2'x8' to peak of roof. I plan on doing a 3/8 steel fire box maybe 3'-4' from smokehouse. Using the raised-stool grate concept I should be able to easily generate plenty of heat to cook rips and shoulders as well as cold smoke (I think). I am just curious of opinions and experiences from all of you as to a comfortable max temp I should use as rule of thumb for internal temp of my smokehouse. I'd really hate to have this thing go poof and burn to the ground! I have cinder blocks 2 high for base and plan on using expanded metal with lava rock as a smoke/heat dissipater at the top of the blocks. Thanks in advance.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky