Maverick 73's meat probe faulty

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, oddly enough, all 3 went bad yesterday. Couldn't have been at a worse time when I had two smokers full of meat. You know something is off when the prime rib measured 190 yet it was shaking like jello (still raw).

I had a Taylor probe go bad after a coupla weeks. Took it back and Target allowed an exchange. I had washed it off in the sink and I hear water is bad for them so it was probably my mistake. Not sure 'why' washing them is bad...I wash instant reads off at work all the time with no problems.I recently got the new Maverick 732 and have switched to using alcohol on the probe. Any enlightened smokers out there with input on this??

I'm wondering if it was all of the moisture in my smoker. I had three pans of liquid running in each. There was so much moisture that I had to remove the screen on the vents because they were getting clogged. As I was working in the smoker I had condensation (from the ceiling) just dripping all over my hands and arms. I guess maybe it got into the contacts because even today they don't work.

Last edited:
I had a Taylor probe go bad after a coupla weeks. Took it back and Target allowed an exchange. I had washed it off in the sink and I hear water is bad for them so it was probably my mistake. Not sure 'why' washing them is bad...I wash instant reads off at work all the time with no problems.I recently got the new Maverick 732 and have switched to using alcohol on the probe. Any enlightened smokers out there with input on this??
My probes are about 18 months old--still working good.

I keep water away from where the cable is connected to the solid probe, and away from the little thingy that plugs into the electronic unit.

Bear

I'm wondering if it was all of the moisture in my smoker. I had three pans of liquid running in each. There was so much moisture that I had to remove the screen on the vents because they were getting clogged. As I was working in the smoker I had condensation (from the ceiling) just dripping all over my hands and arms. I guess maybe it got into the contacts because even today they don't work.
3 pans of liquid?

Bear

Well I have the water pan then I built a platform (with skewers) for the meat (poultry, beef, and lamb) to sit on, over liquid/drippings. I just poke them through the foil pans and you have the meat sitting on top of the pan so that it can still form a great crust and it gets smoke all around. It mimics having the meat directly on the rack while having a pan for drippings without taking up two of your racks. I've held up an 8lb roast that way so far. Haven't tried to go any larger yet. If you do chicken this way I promise you it will be the moistest meat (not just poultry) you have ever had.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky