Maturing Chamber tweaks...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Two changes I have made to my set up to improve even drying. 1. I added a restriction plate to the evaporator fan return made from HDPE flexible cutting board. That worked great, but caused another problem with extremely dry air thru the return vent as the chamber air has more resident time on the evaporator coil which pulls out more moisture. So.....2. I used a triple plug on the cooling output of the temperature controller. I plugged the refrigerator and a small auxiliary humidifier into the triple plug. When the controller kicks on to run the cooling cycle, it also turns on the small humidifier on the top rack. This rehumidifies the incoming air up to around 70-72%RH. As long as dry cold air blows out of the return vent, the auxiliary humidifier runs.
IMG_20220310_071939.jpg

IMG_20220310_071953.jpg

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, the higher RH% on the cooling cycle has slowed moisture loss down about 40% in the Coppa and 2 Lonzino. But the moisture loss of the culatello has increased from 5g. to 6g. per day. This is likely due to the surface staying more hydrated which allows for better diffusion of moisture from the center to the surface. If that rate continues for the Culatello, it will amount to 3.07% in one month.

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky