Masterbuilt XL or Smoke Hollow No. 6?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slingerland

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
Good evening!  I've been doing a lot of smoking using my Cajun Bandit conversion of a Weber OTG, but I'm looking to buy a propane smoker for the "simple" cooks where I don't want to mess with charcoal.  Cost is a consideration... my budget is low.  Also I have a specific requirement: I can smoke entire racks of babyback ribs without cutting them into partials, or curling them.

I've narrowed my selection to two different smokers: the Masterbuilt XL or the Smoke Hollow 38202g smoker (aka, "No. 6".)

On the site here, I've found LOTS of reviews and discussions of the Masterbuilt XL.  I feel pretty comfortable with the mods needed.  The disadvantage is the smoker is not available where I live (Little Rock, AR) and I would have to drive to Bass Pro in Memphis, or to Cabelas in Rogers.  I would have to wait for replacement parts to be shipped if something was defective.

The Smoke Hollow doesn't seem to have a lot of threads here on the site.  However the smoker is available locally at Gander Mountain.  Also, a possible advantage is the SH has a separate door for wood chunks and water pan.  And as well, my wife was impresseed with the saugage hangars already installed in the SH.  And last, being local, if I unbox it and something is broken, I can drive back to the store and exchange it.

So... any comments, opinions, ideas? 

Thanks, everybody!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky