• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Masterbuilt Vertical 2 door Smoker Mods

DRKsmoking

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 27, 2021
Hi Chadnicoletti for the likes and also for starting this thread , as it gave me the info i needed for the needle valve

David

chadnicoletti

Joined Dec 26, 2012
Hi Chadnicoletti for the likes and also for starting this thread , as it gave me the info i needed for the needle valve

David
Hey DRKsmoking, I honestly can't take any credit for these mods, less the welded skirts. This forum is a wealth of information, and seriously awesome. I've been a tinkerer for a long time, and can't leave anything stock. Thankfully with a little elbow grease and some time, one can take a pretty poorly designed smoker for a great price and make a damn good smoker out of it! I have yet to try the tube deal that most on this forum speak of. I will get to that this summer.

Thanks!

OldSmoke

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 5, 2020
The tube seems to be a good match for these smokers. I had difficulty using a pan. The harder woods like hickory had trouble staying lit at lower temps. I had trouble with a tray as well. Also check out an external smoke generator or mailbox. It really helps you get smoke and temperature consistency.

DRKsmoking

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 27, 2021
The tube seems to be a good match for these smokers. I had difficulty using a pan. The harder woods like hickory had trouble staying lit at lower temps. I had trouble with a tray as well. Also check out an external smoke generator or mailbox. It really helps you get smoke and temperature consistency.
Hi OldSmoke, thanks for the like
Would you have a picture of your external smoke generator on your Masterbuilt. just so i can see . I do not seem to have a problem with my wood chunks staying lit ....so far but have only done a few smokes so fat, thanks
David

OldSmoke

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 5, 2020
It is my own invention. It is what happens when it is cold and rainy outside and the garage is warm.

8F80CED1-2252-4AB4-9A57-EFF07A24D091.jpeg

C46B1166-B0A3-41BB-B91D-01568961B186.jpeg

18534332-12A9-4095-B239-2C631E741D57.jpeg

11A89017-2F52-45ED-8015-C2F5030C96E4.jpeg

I use an air pump through a venturi to move the smoke. I can control the amount of smoke by adjusting the door and a valve on the compressed air. I’m getting consistent, clean smoke with zero temperature rise in the cabinet. I have two smoking tubes so it is easy and quick to reload on long smokes. It is one of those hair-brained ideas that actually works. I’m very happy with it.

DRKsmoking

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 27, 2021
It is my own invention. It is what happens when it is cold and rainy outside and the garage is warm.

View attachment 486651

View attachment 486652

View attachment 486650

View attachment 486649

I use an air pump through a venturi to move the smoke. I can control the amount of smoke by adjusting the door and a valve on the compressed air. I’m getting consistent, clean smoke with zero temperature rise in the cabinet. I have two smoking tubes so it is easy and quick to reload on long smokes. It is one of those hair-brained ideas that actually works. I’m very happy with it.
WOW
that is very cool, fantastic work. And it does not raise the inside temp in the smoker?
That is one of the best mods to the Masterbuilt i have seen yet.
My hat is off to you sir. If it was made out of wood i could probably make it....LOL

David

DRKsmoking

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 27, 2021
These are the parts I used:

amazon" style="max-width:120px">amazon" style="max-width:120px">amazon" style="max-width:120px">
Missing is a 1/4 x 3/8 reducer that I sourced locally. You also need yellow, not white teflon tape (gas). If you have a good hardware store or propane supplier, they should have everything in stock. At the time in the pandemic, I was ordering everything online. The picture gives you some idea of how I plumbed it together.

View attachment 481857

The needle valve is not high pressure or low pressure. the output of the regulator and the type of burner you have is, and yours is low pressure.
Hi OldSmoke
When you put all your needle valve parts together do you use any tape at all. I was using the pink teflon tape to put the adapter on my 100lb tank and one of my neighbor said you dont need any tape or putty on any gas lines
am i wrong in doing so, thanks in advance
David

Last edited:

OldSmoke

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 5, 2020
Hi OldSmoke
When you put all your needle valve parts together do you use any tape at all. I was using the pink teflon tape to put the adapter on my 100lb tank and one of my neighbor said you dont need any tape or putty on any gas lines
am i wrong in doing so, thanks in advance
David
Yes, with tapered pipe threads, you need a sealant. Yellow Teflon tape is used for natural gas and propane. If you are using flared fittings, you don’t use sealant.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.