Masterbuilt ThermoTemp XL thermometer mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smiller15

Original poster
May 24, 2018
Just curious if anyone here has added a thermometer to their Masterbuilt Thermotemp smokers. I do like that it does self regulate but I also am skeptical at times that the temp is within 15-20 degrees of where I set and unfortunately they probably purposefully nixed a therm so no one calls them out when it’s slightly off. I usually just put it to 240-250 and if it swings between 225-260 so be it. It’s double walled so not sure if that would make a difference when drilling to add a side thermometer.

Do u really need to drill a hole... I don't have that particular model but I uses aftermarket probes and sometimes I am just too lazy to feed em thru the little gromet and I have had no issues.

Hey Smiller most folks do use another thermo to measure the grate temp to keep check on things. I would just run it thru the back vent as opposed to drilling a hole.

Keith

Just curious if anyone here has added a thermometer to their Masterbuilt Thermotemp smokers. I do like that it does self regulate but I also am skeptical at times that the temp is within 15-20 degrees of where I set and unfortunately they probably purposefully nixed a therm so no one calls them out when it’s slightly off. I usually just put it to 240-250 and if it swings between 225-260 so be it. It’s double walled so not sure if that would make a difference when drilling to add a side thermometer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky