Masterbuilt/SMF Contest - MES-40 Up for Grabs!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my own recipe. 75% of the fun is coming up with crazy stuff to make food with. Sure I get all my ideas from this website but the end result is a mixture of what I think will be best and that's how I came up with this!

Beginners Luck Pulled Pork!

7lb. Bone out pork butt

John Henry's Wild Cherry Chipotle Rub.

Jim Beam's Red Stag Bourbon.

Apple Juice

2 12 ounce bottles of your favorite root beer (i like rat bastard!)

Couple of freezer bags

Couple of roasting tins

Apple and Cherry wood chips

Lump charcoal 

I usually start the prep roughly 36 hours before i intend to smoke. So for this example we will say Saturday morning is what were shootin for.

Thursday night is simple. Take your pork butt and double bag it in freezer bags and pour in your root beers. Seal them up and place in a tin in the fridge over night. Hop online and work up that hunger on the smokin forums! ;-)

Friday night after 24 hours in root beer. Pull out the butt and let it drain, but dont pat dry, thats jut wasteful. Start rubbing with john henry's cherry chipotle and dont be shy. Wrap in plastic and set in the fridge for another 12 hours.

Saturday morning its time to get the smoker goin at around 225-240. For this recipe i dont use anything but water in the pan. Once the fires ready and the pan is full pull out the rub and throw a bit more rub on where necessary. Throw that baby on the smoker and head back to the forums!

The fun part starts at 140 degrees IT. I take 3 parts apple juice and 1 part red stag bourbon. Dont mess around here, when i say spritz i mean i want that butt dripping and wet! do this as often to keep the outside looking moist. This will slow down the cooking time but thats what its all about. Every 30 minutes is a good rule but i just like to keep it moist looking.

i keep doing this till i hit 165 degrees IT and then i wrap in heavy aluminum foil, making sure to wrap it so no drippings get out, and also giving it a last spritz. 

Cook till shes at 200 and take it off the heat and rest it in a towel and cooler for as long as you can stand it. 

Once its sat for a while, start pulling the meat in its own juices. No finishing sauce or anything. Its ready to eat as it on anything you like. I prefer hawaiian sweet rolls.

Have fun with this one! =-) And good luck to everyone posting!

e745fd8e_002.jpg

Last edited:
Southwest Smoked Chicken Wrap

Rub:

3 teaspoons Chili Powder

2 teaspoons Paprika

1/2 teaspoon Cayene Pepper

3/4 teaspoon Cumin

1/2 teaspoon Coriander

1 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder

1 teaspoon Onion Powder

1 teaspoon Kosher Salt

1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper

Chipotle Sauce:

1 cup prepared ranch dressing

pureed chipotle pepper in adobo sauce to taste

Wrap:

4 flour tortillas

Lettuce

Diced Tomato's

1 Green Bell Pepper, halved

1 Red Bell Pepper, halved

1 Red Onion, halved

2 teaspoons Olive Oil

1 pound of Chicken Breasts

Apply rub to the chicken breasts and refrigerate overnight

Prep smoker to 275F

Put chicken, Bell Peppers and Onion on smoker

Smoke vegatables for 1 hour, remove from smoker

Smoke chicken to 160F, remove from smoker and let rest

While chicken is resting, slice and saute Bell Peppers and Onion in Olive Oil until translucent

Slice or pull chicken, wrap chicken with lettuce, tomato, peppers and onions in flour tortilla with Chipotle Ranch inside, or on the side to dip

Smoked fish on the water smoker ---- I have used mackrel and shark  
Robert Bayly       
  Fish should be soaked in a salt water brine for a few hours before smoking.  
    It prevents the meat from getting mushy during the cooking. Cooking times  
    are relatively short with fish.       
    This recipe will work with Mackerel, Bluefish, Salmon, and even Cod.   
    If you catch the fish yourself, cut through their throat to bleed them while  
    they're still alive. Put them head down in a bucket so they'll pump out as  
    much blood as possible. Wash and chill the whole fish until you can fillet  
    them. Early in the morning of the day you're going to smoke, wash 4 to 6  
    fillets and place them in a brine made from:     
    Brine For Fish Smoking       
    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method     

1 quart cold water        
    1/3 cup Kosher salt        
    1/4 cup sugar        
    1 teaspoon black, red or other peppers to taste     
    Mix this together in a glass or enamel bowl; add the fish and submerge the  
    fillets with a weight to hold them under the brine. Brine the fillets in the  
    refrigerator from 2 to 4 hours (longer makes the fish saltier).    
    Remove the fillets and wipe dry with paper towels. Place them, skin side  
    down, on several thicknesses of dry paper towels and let them air dry for  
    several hours. The surface is dry enough when your finger sticks to the   
    flesh.   Season with Tony's after drying with paper towels.   
    Hot smoke over a 250F wood fire for about 2 hours or until the fillets are  
    firm to the touch (like medium rare steak).      
    Peel off the skin and serve.                      9 start chicken     
    ============                                      8+2=10   brine fish 2 hr  
                                                                 9+3=12 start fish at 12  
                                                                10-12=2 hrs dry fish   

11:30 start 2nd batch of coals   
                                               12 add coals, add fish   
                                               2 finish chicken and fish         

Go ahead and try for it, Meateater and if you win, just send it to Pineywoods. He said he had room for another one
icon_mrgreen.gif
LOL, I think I'll sit back and watch the Qview roll in!
icon_cool.gif
 Keep em coming folks.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 Wood be cool to see a newbie pick that up.

Last edited:
THE BABY BACK BIBLE

SMOKING BABY BACK RIBS USING THE 2-1-.5 HOUR METHOD

THE RIBS:  Buy fresh Baby Backs from a butcher – NEVER buy vacuum packed Supermarket ribs.  They are pumped with a 12-24% sodium solution and taste mushy. 

Ensure the membrane is removed.  The butcher will normally do this for you.

Figure 1 lb per person; usually one slab per person.

PREP THE RIBS:  Cut the rack in half and rinse well.  Set aside on newspaper to drain. 

THE CIDER SOAK (see Apple City for the original recipe):  Prep a cider soak solution (see following page for the formula) in a Zip-Loc bag and transfer the ribs into it.  Place in fridge for 8-24 hours.

WIFFLE DUST RUB (AKA Magic Dust - amended):  Remove ribs from fridge.  Discard soaking solution (but save the bag).  Lay the ribs on newspaper - meat side down to start.  Spray with butter flavored PAM and apply a liberal coating of Wiffle Dust.  DO NOT RUB IN.

Follow with a light coating of Turbinado or brown sugar from a large reused spice shaker.   Now apply a second very light coat of Wiffle Dust.  Ensure that you cannot see any of the rib membrane and that you have a uniform color.

Turn over to the meat side and repeat.

Using tongs, place the ribs (bone side down) back into the 1-gallon Zip-Loc bag and allow to sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours before transferring to your smoker.

SMOKING:  Start your dedicated smoker with chunk charcoal using the Minion Method (research on youtube.com).  Fill your water pan with hot water.  Bring the temp up to a steady 240-250 deg/f.

Prep two 4 oz aluminum foil packets (BALL SHAPED) of equal parts Pecan, Apple and Hickory chips. That is 3-modest sized handfuls of each. Poke holes in the foil.  You can also use CHUNKS directly placed on the charcoal.  Chunks are easier.

Once the smoker is ready (up to temp), transfer the ribs to the top grate and insert your hardwood chunks or first foil pack onto the hot coals.  NOTE:  If the smoke disappears after 20-30 minutes, add another 2 ounces of wood. After the first hour, stop adding wood. Adding wood at the beginning of the cook allows better penetration before the meat surface seals itself.

Using the 2-1-.5 METHOD, cook at 240-250 deg/f for 2 hours; then 1-hour in foil w/apple juice (MEAT SIDE DOWN) and a 30-MINUTES without foil (bone side down). 

Spray liberally with apple juice whenever you open the lid – which should be minimal.

When done, follow the instructions for PIG CANDY (A version of Danny Gaulden’s inspired glaze).  Apply the glaze immediately before removing ribs from the grill and onto your platter.  SERVE HOT!

DETAILS

THE CIDER SOAK - A CRITICAL STEP (see Apple City for original recipe)

RECIPE FOR ONE-SLAB BABY BACK RIBS (APPROX 1.5-2 LBS TOTAL); INCREASE ACCORDING TO YOUR # SLABS.  CUT THE RACK/s IN HALF TO EASE USE.

CIDER SOAK – FOR ONE-RACK OF BABY BACKS (amended verison of Apple City's Cider Soak recipe)

•   1 cup apple juice

•   1 cup cider vinegar

•   2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce

•   2 Tablespoons oil

•   1 Tbs Wiffle Dust

•   1 tsp dried thyme

•   1 tsp black pepper

•   1 tsp onion powder

The night before you plan to cook your ribs, combine the cider-soak ingredients in a one gallon Zip-Loc bag.   AGITATE TO BLEND.

Place the rib halves in the bag and ensure they are completely covered by the soak.  Remove any/all excess air in the bag.  REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT.

PREPARE THE SMOKER FOR COOKING, BRINGING THE TEMPERATURE TO 240/250 deg/F.

Meanwhile, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON PAGE 1 FOR “WIFFLE DUST”

USE THE 2-1-.5- METHOD.  240-250 DEG/F

2 hours smoked.  Use hardwood chips in foil packets or chunks for at least the 1st hour.

1 hour in foil tents (meat side down): pour in ½ cup apple juice per packet and spray the ribs liberally with apple juice.  PLACE BACK ON THE SMOKER.

30 min out of the foil; back on the smoker – spray with apple juice before closing lid.

ELAPSED TIME:  3.5 HOURS

When done, apply the following recipe for Pig Candy glaze.

PIG CANDY - (Inspired by Danny Gaulden’s Rib Glaze)

¼ cup yellow or honey mustard

3 Tbs margarine

2 Tbs cider vinegar

2 Tbs Southern Comfort or Dark Rum

2 Tbs apple juice

1 cup brown sugar

½ tsp onion powder

½ tsp cumin

½ tsp oregano

DIRECTIONS:

Wisk all the ingredients together thoroughly in a cold saucepan.  Heat contents gently over medium heat, stirring frequently until the sugar and mustard are dissolved completely, about 4 minutes. Cook on low until thick enough to coat a spoon.  If it starts to boil, turn it down immediately.

THE INSTANT the ribs are pulled from the pit, generously paint both sides with warm glaze.

WIFFLE DUST FORMULA (AKA Magic Dust - with minor modifications)

Apply enough dust to yield a uniform color across the meat.  A large spice shaker works well for this chore.

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup kosher salt

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 Tbs Accent

2 Tbs ground black pepper

2 Tbs ground ginger powder

2 Tbs onion powder

1 Tbs Cumin

2 tsp rosemary powder

2 tsp cayenne pepper

Last edited:
Pulled Pork Enchiladas

1 pork butt

1 can enchilada sauce to your flavor (mild, medium or hot)

Dry rub mix

2 tbl sp chilli powder

2 tbl sp onion powder

2 tbl sp garlic powder

1 tbl sp cumin

½ cup white sugar

Wash and pat dry pork butt, inject 1 cup of enchilada sauce into pork butt.  Lightly coat with yellow mustard and sprinkle on the dry rub mix.  Place pork butt in 2 gallon ziplock bag and place in fridge overnight.  Pull pork out the next morning and apply a thin layer of dry rub and let it set out to warm up to room temp.  Fire the smoker up to 250 degrees and place the pork butt in it with hickory wood.  Keeping the temp of the smoker at 225 or 230 degrees.  Spray with apple juice every 2 hours till the internal temp reaches 185-190, than double wrap in tin foil and place back in the smoker till the internal temp reaches 200.  Wrap in a towel and place in a cooler to let the juices redistribute thru the meat.  An hour later start shredding the meat and let it sit while you get the enchilada prepped.

Tortillas

Shredded cheese

Diced onion

Enchilada sauce

In a 10” x 14” cooking pan rub a thin layer of enchilada sauce all over the inside of it and heat the rest of the sauce in a shallow cooking pan.  Quickly dip the tortillas in the pan on both sides and add your mix of pulled pork, onion and cheese, roll up and place in the pan. Continue the process til the pan is filled up.  Sprinkle left over sauce, onion and cheese on top of the enchilada and cover with tin foil.  Take the pan back out to the smoker and place on the rack and get the temp up to 250 for an hour. 

Pull out and enjoy the enchiladas on a bed of shredded lettuce.

Well what better way to start serious smoking?

Turkey

2 large onions chopped

2 cups butter - room temperature.

1 cup olive oil

3 TBSP rosemary

2 tbsp crushed red pepper

Bread

Salt

Pepper

Mix the butter with the chopped onions, add in enough bread to completely fill the cavity of the bird

Mix 1/2 C olive oil with Rosemary and red pepper, inject this just below the skin of as well as into the middle of the breast of the bird.

vigorously rub remaining 1/2 C olive oil onto skin of bird, add pepper and salt (About 3 TBSP of each) and slow smoke until reaching safe internal temp.

This is a simple recipe but the flavor is amazing.

Last edited:
Smoked Turkey and Sausage Gumbo

Select a 10-12 pound turkey.  Brine the turkey for 12-24 hours in your favorite store bought or homemade brine. Personally I have found Spice Hunter Turkey brine to be very good.

After Brining rinse, pat dry and rub the turkey down with your favorite poultry rub.

Place the turkey in a 250* smoker. I use a combination of hickory and apple. Use whatever wood you like. Smoke turkey until a internal temperature between 170-180* is reached. After cooled debone the turkey and save the carcass.

Place the carcass in pot. Add 8 cups of water to pot along with 2 stalks of celery, coarse chopped, 1 medium onion coarse chopped and 4 cloves of garlic minced. Boil for 1 hour, strain and save broth.

Gumbo:

Ingredients:

1 smoked turkey

8 cups water

1 1/2 cups vegetable or canola oil

1 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour

2 cups chopped yellow onions

1 cup chopped green bell peppers

1 cup chopped celery

2 tablespoons or about 3 cloves chopped garlic

1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

1 1/2 pound sliced andouille or other smoked sausage

2 tablespoons chopped green onions or scallions (green part only)

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Salt and pepper to taste

Hot cooked white rice, for serving

Method: 
 In a large, heavy pot or a Dutch oven over medium heat, combine the oil and flour. Stirring slowly and constantly, cook until a dark roux is formed, (it should be the color of dark chocolate), 20 to 25 minutes. Add the chopped onions, bell peppers, chopped celery and chopped garlic. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are very soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the thyme and cayenne and continue to stir. Add the reserved smoked turkey broth and stir until the roux mixture and broth are well combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick and flavorful, usually 1 1/2 hours. More water may be added if the sauce gets too thick.

Coarsely chop the smoked turkey meat. Add the turkey and the sausage to the gumbo. Cook for 15 to 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes before skimming off the fat that has risen to the surface.

Serve the gumbo in individual soup or gumbo bowls over hot white rice and garnish with green onions and parsley.

Last edited:
[*]1 gallon water[*]1 cup kosher salt[*]1 cup white sugar[*]1 cup brown sugar[*]lemon pepper to taste[*]1 (3 ounce) package dry crab and shrimp seasoning mix[*]freshly ground black pepper to taste[*]4 cloves garlic, crushed or to taste[*]1 dash hot pepper sauce (optional)[*]4 lemons, sliced and crushed[*]2 oranges, sliced and crushed[*]1 lime, sliced and crushed[*]  1 large yellow onion, sliced[*] [*]Pour the water into a large bowl or small bucket. If you must use a pot, use one that does not contain aluminum. Stir in the kosher salt, white sugar, brown sugar, lemon pepper, parsley and seasoning mix. Add the garlic, hot pepper sauce, lemons, oranges, lime and onion. Soak your salmon in this brine for 12 to 36 hours.  [*]Place salmon on tin foil and smoke between 200-225 F until internal temp reaches 140F. [*]Add fresh squeezed lemon or lime on top if desired.

I am really liking the caliber of recipes that are being posted here.. I can tell that lots of thought is going into them. Keep it up folks!!

Smoked Chicken Etouffee

Take 1 3-4 lb chicken, rinse with cold water and pat dry. Apply you favorite poultry rub. Wrap chicken in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator. After 4 hours (or more) remove wrap and apply a light dusting of the chicken rub. Set aside. Bring smoker up to a temperature between 250 and 275*  F. Place chicken into smoker. Use a mixture of hickory and apple and smoke chicken until a internal temperature of 170[sup]o [/sup]  F is reached (usually 2.5 – 3 hrs). Be sure meat probe was placed into the breast or thigh of the chicken and not touching any bone. Once the target internal temperature is reached remove chicken and let cool. Once cooled, debone chicken and set aside. Make a stock from the leftover carcass.

Etouffee ingredients:

¾ cup of flour

¾ cup of oil or butter

2 lbs of smoked chicken chopped

1 cup of chopped onions

¼ cup of fine chopped green onions

½ cup of chopped green pepper

½ cup of chopped celery

2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 quart of chicken stock (made from the smoked chicken carcass)

2 bay leaves

¼ cup of hot sauce

1 Tbls of worcestershire sauce

¼ cup of chopped parsely

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat the oil or butter in a large dutch oven or heavy bottom pot over medium high heat .  Add flour, and stir to combine well. Continue to cook roux, stirring constantly, until chocolate brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Immediately add onion, celery, bell pepper, and bay leaves and cook until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes, then add the chicken stock a little at a time.  Add hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine well. Bring to a boil, return smoked chicken to the pot, and simmer for 1 hour and 45 minutes, until chicken is very tender. Add chopped parsely and stir well to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary, and serve immediately over rice or other starch of choice.

Last edited:
Man, I could really use this smoker, so here's my submission.

Edit: Made my new Favorite last night, so changing my submission.

Last night, I didn't have much time as I have to be on a plane in a few hours, so I didn't want to do a big smoke, but at least wanted to smoke something.

Smoked Ribeye w/ Reverse Sear and Smoked Tri-Color Peppers

First, the Rub, which I came up with on the fly, pretty basic:

1/4 Cup Salt Free Chili Powder

2 tsp Hungarian Paprika

1 tsp Cayenne

1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp Onion Powder

1/2 tsp Salt (leave out if using chili powder with salt)

Rub the meat thoroughly, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Put in fridge for an hour to let the spices penetrate the meat.

Get the smoker fired up to 225*, and use a combination of Hickory and Peach (or other fruitwood like apple if you don't have peach)

While the smoker is settling down, slice three bell peppers of various colors in half, and seed and rinse. I chose red, yellow, and green.

Place the ribeye and peppers on the grate, and set a timer for 45min. At the end of the 45 min, my ribeye was at 120*. PERFECT!

About 15 min before the timer is up, fire up a gas grill or charcoal grill to about 550*.

Remove peppers and ribeye from smoker once timer has gone off, and sear both peppers and ribeye quickly (1-2 min per side; time will vary with temperature of grill). My ribeye was 138* when I finished the sear. Double wrap the ribeye in foil, and allow to rest at least 15 min. My temperature climbed to 144* during the rest, a perfect medium rare.

Serve the Ribeye with one of each color Peppers...and some of the wifes mashed taters (or any other side).\

Rubbed, wrapped, and into the fridge

About ready to go on the smoker.

Yeah, that's what I was waiting for!!

Finished Smoking

After the sear

Plated, and ready to serve

Slice to show doneness

Thanks for Looking!

Last edited:
How long must we wait! im dying to see who gets that gorgeous smoker!

This contest is going all the way through November.. I am not sure how quickly the winner will be announced after that. We have had great response, keep it up.

Just a reminder to anyone who has not read the first post in this thread where the rules are posted, you must post a recipe then also go to the Masterbuilt Facebook page while signed in to facebook and hit the "Like" button at the top of the page to be registered to win.

Someone is going to be very, very happy soon
icon_wink.gif

Best Basic Baby Backs

Basic rub;

kosher salt

raw (Turbinado) sugar

cracked black pepper

onion powder

garlic powder

chili powder

cayenne pepper

paprika

dry mustard

cumin

Two packs of baby back ribs or St Louis style ribs

Spritz and braising liquid; Cranberry/raspberry juice

Trim off all excess fat and remove membrane from back of room temperature ribs.  Generously rub the ribs with deli style mustard to add that little bit of horse radish flavor.  Sprinkle rub on the dry rub and stoke your fire to 250° and add hickory.

Place ribs in smoker and allow smoking for 2 hours (3 if using St Louis style).  Ensure smoke is thin and light blue at the most and not heavy.  Even the scent of the smoke is enough to get the smoke flavor in to the meat.  After one hour spray ribs with cranberry/raspberry juice taking care not to wash off rub.  If smoking St Louis style ribs spray again at the two hour mark.

After two hours (three for St Louis style) remove ribs carefully and place in foil packs along with a couple of ounces of the cranberry/raspberry juice and return to smoker (no need for wood) for another two hours.

Remove ribs from foil and return to smoker (again, without smoke) for one more hour to firm up.

Remove from smoker and slice.  Serve with your favorite sauce on the side if desired.   Serves 6-8 unless you’re like my family then they will only serve four and one boxer.

Inside the Masterbuilt gasser

On your mark...

Thanks,,this is great!

Venison Jerky

6-8 pounds deer meat sliced 1/8 inch thick
2 cups water
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup salt
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup liquid smoke
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 tablespoons your favorite seasoned salt
1 teaspoon paprika

Combine all ingredients except the venison and the seasoned salt and paprika to make marinate.

Add meat slices and let marinate for 8-10 hours. Pat dry and spread on grill or smoker racks. Sprinkle with seasoned salt seasoning and paprika. Smoke using low heat on the smoker or grill for 6-8 hours.

Enjoy!

found originally at http://www.texasbarbeques.com/smoked_beef_jerky_recipe.html

Last edited:
Smoked meatloaf

2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 lb. sausage
1 large onion finely chopped
1 green pepper finely chopped
1 C. fresh bread crumbs or saltine cracker crumbs (if using Italian sausage I use Italian bread crumbs)
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup bbq sauce
1 cup shredded cheese
Favorite bbq rub
3 lbs. thick sliced bacon

Weave strips of bacon together tightly (8 slices x 8 slices works well) and put aside after lightly covering it with rub.

Mix all ingredients but cheese in bowl using just 3/4 cup of bbq sauce. Once mixed, cover bacon weave with meatloaf mixture, add rub if desired. Spread cheese on top of meatloaf.

Take one end of meatloaf (without bacon weave) and roll into a log as tightly as you can.

Once the meatloaf is fully rolled up, pinch together the seams and ends to seal all of the cheese inside.

Now roll meatloaf forward with the bacon weave making sure the seam is facing down and ends are bacon covered. Any bacon left over from weave can be added on top of roll.

Sprinkle rub on outside of roll and place in smoker. Half an hour before desired temperature is reached, brush remaining 1/4 cup of bbq sauce on exterior.
body, td, input{font-family:arial;font-size:16px;}#container{padding:5px 20px;}#header h2{font-size:27px;color:#d0d0d0;margin: 22px 0 10px;}#searchform{width:470px;margin:0;}#searchform input{font-size:18px;border: 1px solid #aaa;color:#aaa;}#searchform input:hover, #searchform input:focus, #searchform input:active{border: 1px solid #888;color:#000;} #searchform input.searchbox{padding:4px;width:300px;}#searchform input.searchbutton{padding: 3px 10px;color:#000;}#searchform div.poweredby{float:right;width:80px;text-align:center;}#searchform div.poweredby span{font-size:10px;}#searchform div.poweredby img{width:60px;}

Jonboat's smoked salmon

This one follows the KISS principle and turns out delicious smoked salmon...

Brine: 1 Cup Kosher Salt, 1 Cup dark brown sugar, 1 gallon of water.

Make enough brine to cover the number of fillets you have.

Brine overnight in the fridge.

After brining, rinse fillets thoroughly

place on racks in open air for 1.5 - 2 hours (until the meat is tacky to the touch)

This is a good time to pull out the pin-bones if you haven't already done so.

Get you smoker up to around 220, then put the fish in.

I use applewood, and for large fillets, I smoke for about 6 hours.

I've used this recipe three times this year with my ecb, and every time it turned out awesome!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky