Masterbuilt Seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Againes85

Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
Charlotte NC
I am about to season my new masterbuilt propane smoker this weekend and wanted to confirm some things!

My thought was to season the inside with bacon grease to add more flavor. Should I stay with this or should I just use the veggie oil the manuals say?

My second question is where do most people put there chip tubes at in the two door models? I do also have chucks from my old smoker but wanted to use the chip tube to make sure it worked correctly.

Reactions: negolien
I am about to season my new masterbuilt propane smoker this weekend and wanted to confirm some things!

My thought was to season the inside with bacon grease to add more flavor. Should I stay with this or should I just use the veggie oil the manuals say?

My second question is where do most people put there chip tubes at in the two door models? I do also have chucks from my old smoker but wanted to use the chip tube to make sure it worked correctly.
I used bacon grease on my mb560. Seasoned well and I haven’t seen any issues with it so far. I’ve used bacon grease for my rectec and offset when I got them.
For the wood, chunks would be the best option. On the Facebook group, a member said he tried wood chips and they ignited. Lots of white smoke. I’ve been using a few chunks in the bottom ash pan and also layer some chunks in with the charcoal.

Cure the Smoker with PAM or Veg oil. Make your Breakfast with Bacon Grease! This initial cure is for Rust Protection. The Seasoning and it's flavor comes from multiple meat smokes. You gain nothing using Bacon Grease in this first step...JJ

Tube goes in the top part of the smoker. Make sure it is burning good first. Majority of the time I don't use the tube or tray with my gas smoker. The chip pan mode works well enough for me. I do use them when cold smoking though. You can put it either in the upper or lower area.

Reactions: negolien
I agree season with Pam or veggie oil. I used peanut oil.
As far as the smoke tube, I put mine on the bracket that holds the chip tray on the lower door. I only use the tube for long smokes. I normally just use chunks (about the size of a deck of cards) in the pan. I get about an hour and half before I have to add more. Chips just catch on fire and are gone in few minutes.

Thank you for all the info guys! We are finishing up seasoning now! Bought a pork loin today for some of Bear`s pork jerky to try out!

I used bacon grease on my mb560. Seasoned well and I haven’t seen any issues with it so far. I’ve used bacon grease for my rectec and offset when I got them.
For the wood, chunks would be the best option. On the Facebook group, a member said he tried wood chips and they ignited. Lots of white smoke. I’ve been using a few chunks in the bottom ash pan and also layer some chunks in with the charcoal.
Please ignore my post. I just realized this was in the propane smokers section. This post had popped up under “latest post” while I was in the charcoal section. Didn’t realize that was global. It’s been a while since I’ve been on the forums since the redesign . My apologies for chiming in on the wrong section.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky