Masterbuilt propane not smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Edude273

Original poster
Dec 29, 2018
20181230_141446.jpg
20181230_141330.jpg
20181230_141446.jpg
20181230_141330.jpg
My new masterbuilt smoker is taking a very long time to produce smoke and when it does it is very light. I have been trying everything, currently I add the wood and let it preheat for about 45 minutes at 325 to try to get the smoke going, then I load my food and move it down to 250. I have both chips and chunks in "cowboy brand" because I figured chips for short smoke like shrimp and sausage and chunks for longer smokes but nothing seems to work. I have a Weber Igrill monitoring my temps. Any advice?

**update** so would you not use the current chip pan at all and just put the cast iron directly on the heat defuser? Would you have to wrap it with foil and put holes in it to stop drippings from getting into the cast iron? Here's a picture of the current assembly

Last edited:
20181229_194429.jpg
this is what the wood box looks like after 45 minutes at 325 and a hour and 15 minutes at 250. The food is done and the wood just started smoking.

Have never been able to smoke anything other than 4-5 cigarettes in that short of a time ymmv

Reactions: Buckeye02
Dont put your food on until you see smoke and for gods sake dont soak them lol

I see TBS in your picture. Thin Blue Smoke. That's what you want.
Gives the most smoke flavor, without crappy creosote taste.
And like Mike said, do NOT wet your chips. And don't use chunks.
I use a MES 30 and now a MES 40 I was given due to the controller failing. I use a Mailbox Mod with them.
I never liked MB's chip system. In two words, Doesn't Work.
Try finer chips from your chip supply. Follow the directions closely.
If all else fails, get an Amazen AMNTS and use Pellets in it. Just lay it in the smoker after following the lighting instructions, then run your smoker at the temperature recommended for what you are cooking.

You need to find a way to get more heat to the wood box without increasing heat to the smoker box where the food is. What worked for me is i bought a wok ring to replace the oem heat diffuser and placed the oem wood box on top of that to get it closer to the flame. Some use an iron skillet, but that never worked well for me and wood chunks.

Is the pan in the picture, the original chip pan that came with the smoker ???
If so, try using fewer chips.... clean the pan so there is nothing on the SS to insulate it from the chips...

Is the pan in the picture, the original chip pan that came with the smoker ???
If so, try using fewer chips.... clean the pan so there is nothing on the SS to insulate it from the chips...

Yes that is the original pan, I clean it after every use since it always get some drippings on it. I guess i will grab a small Cast iron and see how that goes. I am worried that the heat shield that is directly above the burner isnt directing enough heat to the pan. I was thinking I might drill a few extra holes in it maybe??

As said I do use a CI skillet I also use a higher heat until the smoke starts to show then turn it back.

Warren

I will try that! would it make sense for me to throw the cast iron on the stove for a little while the smoker preheats or do you think that would be over kill? Also do you use chunks or chips in you master built?

I think if he's having trouble getting his wood lit using the thin metal bowl I think a cast iron pan will make it even more difficult.

Seeing your updated pics, an iron pan sitting directly on top of the heat diffuser may work better. If that doesn't work to get more smoke, try using the oem chip pan directly on top of the diffuser.

I think if he's having trouble getting his wood lit using the thin metal bowl I think a cast iron pan will make it even more difficult.
With a cast iron chip box, I used to have to soak my chips down so they didn't burn up so quick in my propane. Cast holds heat a lot better, so once heated it can be turned down and retain heat.

Yes that is the original pan, I clean it after every use since it always get some drippings on it. I guess i will grab a small Cast iron and see how that goes. I am worried that the heat shield that is directly above the burner isnt directing enough heat to the pan. I was thinking I might drill a few extra holes in it maybe??

Drill out the heat shield or remove it.... Cast iron absorbs and diffuses heat... A thin SS bowl or pan will work better.. Like comes with a Big chief or Totem smoker... If your chips flare up to flame, cover the pan with foil and have a few holes in it to let the smoke out and starve the chips of oxygen... No or little oxygen, they can't flare up...
The SS pan that comes with the greatest fish smoker ever designed....
I picked this unit up for $20 a couple years ago as a back up to my 30 year old Totem...
Using dust works very well or slices of limbs... use only 1.. 2 hunks will flare up..
Alder Cookie.JPG

TOTEM 6-29-2016.JPG
Totem Smoker.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Edude,
I use a MB 30" vertical propane smoker.
I tossed the OEM chip pan and use a 10" CI skillet.
It is raised above the burner by about 1".
I use wood chunks (not soaked)
I typically will run the heat up to get to TBS then adjust to the desired temp.
That takes about 30 to 40 minutes to achieve.
That's my .02$

r2

Hi Edude,
I use a MB 30" vertical propane smoker.
I tossed the OEM chip pan and use a 10" CI skillet.
It is raised above the burner by about 1".
I use wood chunks (not soaked)
I typically will run the heat up to get to TBS then adjust to the desired temp.
That takes about 30 to 40 minutes to achieve.
That's my .02$

r2
Thanks for the advice, so to achieve this did you get rid of the heat diffuser or is that what you are setting the pan on? Do you cover the cast iron pan at all with foil? Also what OEM?

Thanks for all the advice, I ended up switching to a cast iron pan as well as installing a gasket and drilling out the heat diffuser. Got a steady stream of thin blue smoke. Had a great new years smoke with a bone in pork loin roast.

Attachments

• 20181231_161206.jpg
    20181231_161206.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 20181231_202422.jpg
    20181231_202422.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 20181231_202434.jpg
    20181231_202434.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 111
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky