Masterbuilt propane not smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like you have the same smoker I do. First smoke today. Using hickory chips and no problem getting smoke.

Right now I'm set on 250. Had to adjust the baffle in the back to control the smoke. But I got that thin blue smoke working.

Hi Edude,
Sorry for the late response.
I have attached a few pics of my setup.
My rig is older than yours so it doesn't have the heat shield like yours does.
Glad you are getting the smoke you wanted.

20190105_114908 (2).jpg 20190105_114936 (2).jpg

r2

I bought this smoker for Christmas needless to say I returned it... The best luck I had was bend the feet on the plate that sits right above the burner I took the screws out and bent them to sit right over the burner. Then I took the plate that holds the chips and put it directly on top of the stand that I bent the legs on that sits right above the burner. Then I went and bought chunks instead of chips. I got it to work like this but was just not pleased with the unit in general for the money. Thats my 2 cents!!!

View attachment 384099 View attachment 384100 View attachment 384099 View attachment 384100 My new masterbuilt smoker is taking a very long time to produce smoke and when it does it is very light. I have been trying everything, currently I add the wood and let it preheat for about 45 minutes at 325 to try to get the smoke going, then I load my food and move it down to 250. I have both chips and chunks in "cowboy brand" because I figured chips for short smoke like shrimp and sausage and chunks for longer smokes but nothing seems to work. I have a Weber Igrill monitoring my temps. Any advice?

**update** so would you not use the current chip pan at all and just put the cast iron directly on the heat defuser? Would you have to wrap it with foil and put holes in it to stop drippings from getting into the cast iron? Here's a picture of the current assembly
[/QUOTE]
View attachment 384040this is what the wood box looks like after 45 minutes at 325 and a hour and 15 minutes at 250. The food is done and the wood just started smoking.

Curious if you resolved this issue. I have the same problem. Wondering if the CI pan instead of the chip bowl worked for you?

I see TBS in your picture. Thin Blue Smoke. That's what you want.
Gives the most smoke flavor, without crappy creosote taste.
And like Mike said, do NOT wet your chips. And don't use chunks.
I use a MES 30 and now a MES 40 I was given due to the controller failing. I use a Mailbox Mod with them.
I never liked MB's chip system. In two words, Doesn't Work.
Try finer chips from your chip supply. Follow the directions closely.
If all else fails, get an Amazen AMNTS and use Pellets in it. Just lay it in the smoker after following the lighting instructions, then run your smoker at the temperature recommended for what you are cooking.
But I read the instructions for my Masterbuilt, and it specifically says not to use pellets. Is this bunk?

But I read the instructions for my Masterbuilt, and it specifically says not to use pellets. Is this bunk?
Pellet work fine. Remove the heat diffuser use a cast pan or put a dutch oven over the flame. This works well, but drill some holes in the oven to let in some oxygen otherwise you'll get soot.

The OP did not mention what wood he is using. I am finding hardwoods like hickory require a lot more heat initially to get going in my cast iron pan. I normally use apple and have little trouble getting smoke. Is this typical?

I am now switching to my A-Maze-N tray for everything.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky