Masterbuilt Portable Electric Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeindaville

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
Has anybody tried the Masterbuilt Portable Electric Smoker?

Saw where they came out with a propane version a while back but would rather have electric when I am camping since electricity is included with the campsite. ;) Just looked on their website and saw where they have an electric version now. Found it on Amazon for $99 and they have a bag to transport it in. Just curious if anybody has one and what they think. Reviews on Amazon are pretty good. Also curious if anybody has used an A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER in it. Didn't know if it would have a good enough draft for it.

I tried searching but can't even get a search box to come up.

Thanks

Saw where they came out with a propane version a while back but would rather have electric when I am camping since electricity is included with the campsite. ;) Just looked on their website and saw where they have an electric version now. Found it on Amazon for $99 and they have a bag to transport it in. Just curious if anybody has one and what they think. Reviews on Amazon are pretty good. Also curious if anybody has used an A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER in it. Didn't know if it would have a good enough draft for it.

Thanks
I don't have one but saw a video on it. That little booger has a 1400 watt heating element. You have to access the chip tray by opening the smoker door but it's such a small smoker it'll recuperate quickly. I'm not confident the AMNTS will stay lit plus if it was filled it'll be a ton of smoke for a tiny smoker. A half filled AMNTS shaken sideways to level pellets evenly still puts out a decent amount of smoke. After owning the Mes 40 the Mes 30 is a portable smoker.
-Kurt

I personally think the Tube puts out too much smoke, even for my MES 40, but it seems to depend on how good your air flow is.

No matter how I fill my Tube, it smokes to heavily, but my AMNPS is Perfect in my MES 40.

It seems many of those who think the Tube is just right for them have a little trouble keeping an AMNPS burning. (Not All, but Many)

If you have room in that Portable, I'd go with the 5" X 8" AMNPS, and you can use Pellets or Dust in that unit.

Bear

Thanks
I'm not a fan of the propane smoker design. I own an electric digital model and it meets my needs just fine. I chose an electric model because I didn't want a propane or a charcoal smoker.

I bought one about a month ago from QVC. $89.00 with easy pay. Couldn't pass it up. I have done baby back and a chucky in it so far and I am very impressed with the outcome. Quick to heat up and quick to recover after adding chips. It's not insulated but it holds the temp very steady. Plus, the smoke starts rolling pretty quick. I got the portable for small cooks. So far I have no complaints. Going to do a 5 pound Boston Butt in it this weekend.

Hey guys,

I know this thread is a little old so I wanted to see if anyone had any "new" experience with this little guy. I'm currently using something that I feel like if I bought this Masterbuilt Portable Electric Smoker, it'll be an awesome upgrade. I live in an apartment so I don't have the luxury of having one to leave outside or a big enough space to facilitate a nice smoker.

So far the con(s) I heard about is that you need to semi "modify" the bottom so that grease and liquids don't drip to cause a fire. Besides that, I don't think I heard anything else that is bad.

I have one but haven't used it yet. How did people modify it?
They didn't really "modify" it by physically modifying the smoker itself. They pretty much put foil where the drippings would land. I've read 2 reviews that if you don't do that, it'll cause a fire. I'm really considering buying this unit but I haven't heard many great things about it yet.

​I have used mine many times now and love it for a small cook. I have done baby backs, butts, shrimp and a chucky so far and everything turned out great!!! I did put the pork butts and chucky in pans so I had no drippings in the bottom of the smoke. I've been using the portable more than my MES 30.

​I have used mine many times now and love it for a small cook. I have done baby backs, butts, shrimp and a chucky so far and everything turned out great!!! I did put the pork butts and chucky in pans so I had no drippings in the bottom of the smoke. I've been using the portable more than my MES 30.
I use a Pan in my MES 40 too---For Prime Ribs, Butts, Chuckies, etc, etc.

I put the meat on a wire cooling rack in a foil pan. That way the smoke gets all the way around the Meat, and clean-up is much easier!!! 
icon14.gif

Bear

So basically, you guys would recommend it. Cause I'm really looking into purchasing one but have my doubts. Whats the different between  and 
For the bullet, I heard the heating element has several issues; like it can't get past even 190. Does the Masterbuilt Portable Electric Smoker have that same problem? I'm trying to do as much research as I can because its going to be a birthday gift that my brother is getting me and I want to make sure I am buying something that'll last and that I'll like. Maybe you guys can answer these questions:

- Will upgrading from the Oster to the Masterbuilt make a different in the quality of my smoked food?

- How is the ease of clean up? (I have to lug the thing in and out of the apartment of course and don't want to drip stuff everywhere, currently my Oster does not have that issue)

- Only "con" I heard about the Masterbuilt is that the drippings can cause a fire. I have heard to fix that issue, just simply put foil underneath the wood and water/drip tray, would this be possible?

- Should I even buy this? Or should I just wait till I move and invest in something better and stationary?

I'm currently using this: 

I put the meat on a wire cooling rack in a foil pan. That way the smoke gets all the way around the Meat, and clean-up is much easier!!! 
icon14.gif

Bear

Great idea Bear. I thought instead of looking for a foil pan that would fit I would look on Amazon. Ended up buying this.

Also got this rack to go in the pan.

Greg

icon14.gif

Bear

Great idea Bear. I thought instead of looking for a foil pan that would fit I would look on Amazon. Ended up buying this.

Also got this rack to go in the pan.

Greg
That is some great information Greg! So you're saying the above amazon links (products) fit into the Masterbuilt Portable Electric Smoker? How much liquid can that pan hold though? And I'm assuming you would need to buy 2 pans correct?

Thanks again!

That is some great information Greg! So you're saying the above amazon links (products) fit into the Masterbuilt Portable Electric Smoker? How much liquid can that pan hold though? And I'm assuming you would need to buy 2 pans correct?

Thanks again!

Haven't received them yet but when I measured the inside it was 12". When I looked for a 12" pan a lot of them were 12" on the bottom but then got bigger so I was worried they wouldn't work. This one is 11" so should fit. The rack is smaller than the pan so should fit inside. I just went for 1 pan since on my MES30 I never had a bunch of drippings. And if you compare this pan to the drip pan I think this pan would hold more.

Mine should arrive today but my smoker isn't here so I won't be able to try it but I can measure it. First try in the smoker will be next Tuesday evening when I start a pork butt. Then I will smoke a turkey breast for Thanksgiving.

Greg

Thanks again!

Haven't received them yet but when I measured the inside it was 12". When I looked for a 12" pan a lot of them were 12" on the bottom but then got bigger so I was worried they wouldn't work. This one is 11" so should fit. The rack is smaller than the pan so should fit inside. I just went for 1 pan since on my MES30 I never had a bunch of drippings. And if you compare this pan to the drip pan I think this pan would hold more.

Mine should arrive today but my smoker isn't here so I won't be able to try it but I can measure it. First try in the smoker will be next Tuesday evening when I start a pork butt. Then I will smoke a turkey breast for Thanksgiving.

Greg
That's awesome information Greg. I'm still researching on which smoker to get right now... I'm so torn between which one to get. I keep seeing issues/bad reviews on the heating element of electric smokers.

I had a charcoal bullet weber and used it one time. Didn't enjoy the work to keep it going. I wanted something easy and plugging in was what I thought would be easy. Propane you can always run out in the middle. That's why I went for the MES30. It's been great and haven't had any issues. We've used it a bunch.

We also camp so I wanted a smaller one to bring camping. They first came out with the propane unit but when you camp, you pay for the site and electricity is included (unless you are out in the middle of nowhere which we don't do). So I wanted electric for a portable one too. Hopefully it is as good as my MES30. I will keep it out of the elements and either have it under an overhang of my garage or use a tarp when camping. And having the carrying bag is nice to keep the camper clean if I store it in there.

I'll try and remember and let you know how the tray fits next week when I am back with the smoker.

Greg

Thank you for posting this Greg. Guess what... I ended up buying an MeS30 haha! Just got it yesterday and I seasoned it. I'll be using it this Thanksgiving. I'm actually really excited and I've heard a lot of good things about it. You own one too no?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky