Masterbuilt MPS 230s Modifications

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
I am in the process of modifying my smoker to operate at lower smoking temps and to make the burner more wind resistant. We live at the west end of the Columbia Gorge and it gets pretty darned windy. I am attempting to build a dead air plenum. I’ll be adding screens to keep out the critters. I’ve got a ham ready to go when I get it finished!

D52C87EB-A9CC-48A3-84F0-50E288761F41.jpeg
21E28342-2C75-47D9-9EB9-CE755C18CB57.jpeg

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Progress is being made. I painted the parts with a textured paint to match the original coating. I will reassemble it tomorrow and test it out. We have had wind storms, thunder, and over 1.5 inches of rain today. Kinda tough to paint...
IMG_0327.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
The Frankenbuilt smoker lives! I am very pleased and a bit surprised it works so well. Sometimes these projects just don’t deliver to the level of the effort.

FC906CE1-EDAC-42F1-84CE-365EA23ACDB7.jpeg

Last edited:
The combination of the wind skirt, needle valve, and two-stage regulator has settled down the temp control. It holds steady temps tested at 120 and 240. I used a box fan to test the wind resistance. It varied only one degree from the target temps. I think that may be caused by wind blowing into the vent located on the back. Previously, the temp would swing all over for seemingly no reason.

Tomorrow I will test drive it with a ham.

91351B74-CB72-46C1-BB8D-8165D01D8CF6.jpeg

The combination of the wind skirt, needle valve, and two-stage regulator has settled down the temp control. It holds steady temps tested at 120 and 240. I used a box fan to test the wind resistance. It varied only one degree from the target temps. I think that may be caused by wind blowing into the vent located on the back. Previously, the temp would swing all over for seemingly no reason.

Tomorrow I will test drive it with a ham.

View attachment 466468
Oldsmoke what are you using for smoke? smoketube? or cast iron skillet?

I have a cast iron skillet, but I am using an A-Maze-N tray more often. I have found that when smoking at lower temperatures or using hardwood like hickory, the tray works much more reliably.

1DB15635-A193-4B64-B0D3-7E7450C0A866.jpeg

BTW, this is a shot of the bottom of the wind skirt.

AF2527CD-B1E5-4F5C-A40C-2414CC93B779.jpeg

To the right of the tray is a butterfly vent. It looks a bit crowded, I still had things to load.

A5AFD056-7EFB-45AB-BCA6-AF4327DD20BE.jpeg

E769E175-93E5-4085-BE95-DD85CD7B0B2E.jpeg

Reactions: Againes85
I am experimenting with “baffling” the smoke. I moved the tray to the center of the lowest rack and put the drip tray to the back. The hope is the smoke won’t just travel straight up the back wall and out the vent. I want to make it spread out and surround the meat first.

It’s just one of those things you ponder while watching the smoke with a nice drink.

Last edited:
Reactions: Againes85
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky