Masterbuilt MES 130B - A-MAZE-N

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ivape

Original poster
Sep 27, 2018
Hi,

Im a newb to smoking in general and to the MES130B. Im in middle of running the pre use burn now. Tomorrow is cook day. Ive been reading the forum and seen alot about this product. I just dont see what it offers more? If someone can be so kind to explain it please. The smoker has a place for chips, why would everyone buy a seperate piece? Is it so that you dont have to refill that often? What model do i need for my smoker? Can i use chips in there? (I just bought a whole bunch) why are pellets better? Sorry for all the questions, just want to learn as much as i can. Will the cook not give enough smoke w/o the A-MAZE-N. Also typically how often do the chips need refill. (I wont be soaking the chips, thanks to what ive learned here)

TIA

Todd Johnson owner of A-MAZE-N is a long time member. Several years ago he had a gen 1 MES. Todd observed 2 problems with the design. You have to reload chips every 30-40 minutes, a PITA, over a 16-20 hour cook, and the unit made no smoke at temps lower than 180°F. No way to cold smoke meat or cheese. Enter the first maze design that burned wood dust. It gave 12+ hours of thin blue smoke, solving the MES flaws. A new issue arose. The dust was great with the MES off, for cold smoking, but didn't work at 225°+. Enter the redesigned maze 2, AMNPS. This design burned dust for cold smoking, no heat generated, and could burn wood pellets that would generate, 12+ hours of smoke at any temp the MES will produce. Brilliant! As the word got out and sales grew, guys with the gen 2 and other brands of smokers wanted the convenience of the AMNPS. A new problem...The AMNPS needs a good supply of air to stay lit. It worked in the gen 1 MES but not in the brand new MES gen 2 or Gas smokers. The design of the gen 2 did not let enough air get to the pellets and propane burners consume most of the available oxygen leaving nothing for the pellets to burn. Todd went to work on the problem and in short order introduced the AMNTS Tube Pellet Smoke Generator. The tube made smoke in pretty much any smoker out there.
The AMNPS Maze does not burn chips. They can't be packed tightly enough for a continuous burn.

Todd is a super friendly guy and his customer service is second to none! Give him a call to discuss the MES you have. Find what product will work best in your smoker.
Masterbuilt never corrected the flaws in successive MES designs. Their fix was to create their Cold Smoke Attachment. An Expensive add-on that has not been getting great reviews around here. As a long time MES owner, I can tell you...While feeding chips for a few hours smoking chicken or ribs is no big deal...You are not going to enjoy staying up 16 hours, overnight or in the rain, snow or heavy wind, feeding Chips to your MES every 30 minutus. Since I got my AMNPS, the MES is TRULY, set and forget and I get plenty of sleep smoking an overnight Brisket or Pork Butt...JJ

Mic drop heard a state away...

PS - Do not fill the pan with water. Line with foil and call it a drip pan now.

jimmyj's response should be a "sticky," if this forum has them.

The one thing I'll add is that the quality of the smoke, whether generated by heating chips or burning chips in a tube or tray, still leaves something to be desired. I actually was going to sell my MES, even after I bought the AMNPS, because the smoke was too bitter. Also, for people who want to cold smoke, the AMNPS generates heat which can make cheese get too soft, etc.

As jimmyj would say, "enter the mailbox mod." The idea is to put the AMNPS in a box that is external to the smoker. This accomplishes two things: all the heat gets dissipated before it enters the smoker enclosure, and much of the creosote (the bitter black stuff in smoke that you want to avoid) condenses on the walls of the enclosure and the conduit that connects the enclosure to the smoker. Folks initially made these out of old mailboxes, but there have been posts about using old toolboxes, popcorn tins (that's my solution), microwave ovens, etc. Anything that is metal and anything that won't melt or add any toxic substance to the smoke will work.

The mailbox mod also makes it much easier to keep the chips or dust burning because it doesn't compete for air with anything else. It also keeps the AMNPS from getting dripped upon by the food. A minor advantage, but one I like, is that at the end of the smoke you can just let the last of the chips burn out in the external box while you clean out the smoker. Here in California we have to be exceptionally careful about lit charcoal and chips out in the open, so I like not having to remove the tray until it is cold.

Thanks for the kind words guys and likes. The history is now a sticky, first post of the AMNPS Testers Forum...JJ

didnt mean to cause a rucus lol. Well first cook turned out amazing. Did a chuch roast in for about 4.5 hours.

My jack daniel chips wouldnt burn for some reason so went with Hickory. Anyone else have that with JD chips?

You have to first take them out of the Jack Daniels before they'll burn.
haha. I didnt even soak them. Mind boggling why they dont smolder. the smaller ones turn black around the edges though.

Maybe try a few 1 minute cycles in the microwave before using. Thats what I do with my pellets before they go in the Amazen tray.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky