Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So I put the grill on to smoke some meatloaf and the hopper is half way full and still the charcoal and wood are in flames. Going to contact Masterbuilt and see what they say
See my post from Jan 11 earlier in this thread - looks like exactly what is happening. I don't see anything wrong with your smoker, looks to be functioning as designed. Run with your hopper half full and see what happens, should be fine.

So I put the grill on to smoke some meatloaf and the hopper is half way full and still the charcoal and wood are in flames. Going to contact Masterbuilt and see what they say

I know it might seem like a pain to have too run your MB GF Smoker with an almost full charcoal hopper, but due to its fuel consumption.. Gravity Feed Smokers are known to go through lots of charcoal.. and for safety reasons, the fuel and heat source are right in the charcoal hopper at the same time. It’s always safer to run any Gravity Feed Smoker with a charcoal hopper, at the bare minimum half full and ideally 75-100% full of charcoal. McoKevin gave some very helpful advice in postings #1331 and #1335 that really answered your question. The only issue I saw with your smoker is there wasn’t enough charcoal in the charcoal hopper. On your next bbq, give the full charcoal hopper a shot. A lot of folks here just trying to give you a helping hand. Also, what was Masterbuilt CS response? Good luck and post back how everything works out on your next bbq.

I just replaced my Traeger with a Masterbuilt 800 Gravity Feed. It is amazing! In over 30 years of smoking with anything from an UDS to a kamado to a Traeger and this Masterbuilt is so far and away my favorite. So easy to light, full-blast up to 700 degrees faster than you'd ever believe. Cleaning is easy, the hopper lasts quite a while. The only problem I've had is making the mistake of buying Kingsford Professional on a 2 for 1 deal. It actually throws tons of embers out into the grill and causes flare-ups. It's the only charcoal I've had the problem with. Wait, I forgot to mention that they are a nightmare to assemble. I would've paid someone at least $100 to assemble it for me, maybe more.

I feel rather accomplished here in my office now.

Its been well over a year (maybe even 2 or so) since I made the transition from my MES30/MBMod/AMNPS and TS to my 560.

Upon my first (many) smokes, I came back to the office touting its superiority over my bosses three (3) MES30's, my other bosses and coworkers pellet poopers, and even brought in samples of the amazing goodness that this beast provides.

Well, couple of years later (finally) every other one of my fellow smokers jumped on the bandwagon and snagged a 560 (although one picked up an 800) and are convinced that 'crazy ole Shane' was in fact (very) right.
That makes me righteous (in my book) :emoji_laughing:

Now I get to have deja vu of all of the 'mods' available for it.
I say just get to cookin!

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
Anyone had problems with the rotisserie on these? I picked one up today, got home, all excited to use it. Installed everything, skewered a chicken on there, but it's not turning fully, it'll go 50% one way, then back, but seems to just struggle.

With the bar removed, it seems to turn fully, but as soon as I put the bar back it just refuses to turn.

I'll just leave it doing that while this chicken cooks, but wondering if anyone has any ideas what the problem could be.

I'm going to see what's going on with it later today, I'd read a number of people had issues with the adapter that goes into the motor. I'll start there, frustrating that it turns fine with no load.

I tried with the chicken at various points and it never seemed to make a difference.

The 1050 bottom grate is
28 3/8" wide × 18" deep

Keith

Thanks, that kind of surprises me, Its not that much bigger than the 560, that's 22 X 14 . I'm thinking about maybe upgrading this winter. But it would handle to racks of whole spares, while the 560 is not wide enough. The meats would block all the air flow.

Anyone had problems with the rotisserie...
I assume your chicken is now done so you can trouble-shoot. You say the motor with no load works fine, good! How does the rotisserie move without a meat load and while disconnected from the motor...is there friction someplace? (My sleeve on the opposite end of the motor would clog when not using the rotisserie and cause problems. I re-drilled it out and now cap it from the inside when not in use so that this doesn't happen again.) Finally, your meat needs to be balanced on the spit. With the motor disconnected, it should turn freely under just finger-force. If the meat is so off-balance it wants to swing down, you need to re-skewer to balance it up.

Last edited:
Well after 2 years and 6 months I finally have a major failure. The knob on the controller no longer responds. The buttons work but I can't change the temp. Thankfully I can with the app. I have the Home Depot 3 year extended warranty. This may be the only time I've ever used an extended warranty.

Reactions: negolien
Oh man glad you got the extended warranty!
I will say that the new app has worked flawlessly....since I removed the old one.

Keith

Well after 2 years and 6 months I finally have a major failure. The knob on the controller no longer responds. The buttons work but I can't change the temp. Thankfully I can with the app. I have the Home Depot 3 year extended warranty. This may be the only time I've ever used an extended warranty.
Did you run a cover and what kinda weather you have where you're at. right under the warranty too lol nice

Question for all gravity feed people. Do you remove the unused charcoal out of the hopper in between cooks, especially if you leave it outside uncovered? I don't know how quickly moisture would invade the briquets.

Question for all gravity feed people. Do you remove the unused charcoal out of the hopper in between cooks, especially if you leave it outside uncovered? I don't know how quickly moisture would invade the briquets.
I do not unload the unused charcoal between cooks. Sometimes it's just a few days between cooks, sometimes a couple of months. I have never had a problem with moisture or re-lighting partially used charcoal.
I do cover it when not in use and the covered unit is also stored under a covered patio, but also in Central FL so I am at extremely high ambient humidity levels.

I don't cover any of cooking appliances here in NY with a soft cover. the earwig bugs love to hide under it and I am not a fan of critters anywhere near where I cook. If I pull he trigger, I will probably get a bbq gazebo to cover this and the griddle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky