MasterBuilt Gravity 560!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
U know I usually connect my samsung galaxy 9 with wifi not sure if it makes a difference. I also notice if I use other apps it freaks it out sometimes. I admit the app could have been done better.

Reactions: Will Squared
well I don't see me dropping pellets for a 560 but I see adding 1 to my stable, I don't look at another smoker as a replacement for 1, all have good points and bad. putting other types of smokers down aint my bag aint none bad just different imo.

I doubt I will be moving away from my pellet pooper anytime soon. I have a need for a new grill and this 560 looks like it will be what I'm looking for. Smoking and grilling are a bonus for me. Due to the crazy period in my life I actually have 3 places I like to have a smoker and grill at. #3 is 1200 miles away and I need a grill and smoker there.

I doubt I will be moving away from my pellet pooper anytime soon. I have a need for a new grill and this 560 looks like it will be what I'm looking for. Smoking and grilling are a bonus for me. Due to the crazy period in my life I actually have 3 places I like to have a smoker and grill at. #3 is 1200 miles away and I need a grill and smoker there.

I haven't touched my RecTec since I got the MB560. The flavor is just so much better I don't see the point in using my RT anymore.

"Discovered" the 560 two days ago while doing research on pellet machines and have been reading/watching about it ever since. I'm looking to upgrade from my MBE 30. I've been pretty pleased with that, not built like a tank or anything and the Bluetooth tech isn't outta this world but the machine did a nice job for the money. I am not a pit master by any means and the 560 seems perfect. I really like that I can save myself $500 (over Rectec, Camp Chef, etc).

Main thing is disliked about the MBE is it was a pain to clean. Is the 560 easy to clean?

Can someone who has this machine explain the door/reset issue? I hadn't read about that. Also how about the charcoal chute door gasket? Neither issue would stop me from buying, just want to understand.

Any other issues anyone is seeing?

Thanks!

"Discovered" the 560 two days ago while doing research on pellet machines and have been reading/watching about it ever since. I'm looking to upgrade from my MBE 30. I've been pretty pleased with that, not built like a tank or anything and the Bluetooth tech isn't outta this world but the machine did a nice job for the money. I am not a pit master by any means and the 560 seems perfect. I really like that I can save myself $500 (over Rectec, Camp Chef, etc).

Main thing is disliked about the MBE is it was a pain to clean. Is the 560 easy to clean?

Can someone who has this machine explain the door/reset issue? I hadn't read about that. Also how about the charcoal chute door gasket? Neither issue would stop me from buying, just want to understand.

Any other issues anyone is seeing?

Thanks!

I put a piece of foil between the hopper gasket and lid to prevent the gasket from sticking.
I haven’t had any issues with the lid reset. The lid has a sensor switch to let the grill know if it’s open or closed. Every time you open the lid you have to press the connect button if you want to use the app. Apparently it’s a regulation and MB was forced to do it.
Cleaning is similar to a gas grill. Scrape the manifold occasionally. There is a tray that pulls out of the back which drains into a drip pan. Pretty easy to clean. You will get flare ups at high temps if you don’t keep it relatively clean.

My lid to the chute was sticky for a little while but not any more.
Everything works well just as manufactured.

I covered the manifold with foil and it catches anything that drips. I covered the drip pan and the catch cup with foil as well.

I have done about 30 cooks and drys with my 560 and haven't changed the foil yet..
Not a big deal.

I am the kind that likes to push the limits on a new tool to see the boundaries.
I have had my 560 blazing at 770' and it ran like a champ.
I have ran it low at 160' for 16 hours straight. I holds temp like a rock.

Oh, there is one thing I have thought to say.

One time I was filling up the chute and came to the end of a lump bag... There was the dust and it became a 'what the heck' moments and I poured it in anyway. The next day I was reverse searing and the 560 ran for a while to let that dusty mix get down to the burn box.
I got up to sear temp and put the meat on. You will always lose some temp when you open the door but it usually builds back up fairly quickly.
This time the 560 was fighting to get back up to sear temp and it took a little bit longer... no big deal but I pondered the problem and it comes down to breathing through the fire box. It wasn't getting enough air to create the higher temp.

This would not have been a problem if I was staying at the lower temp ranges through the entire chute full.

Another thing...
The grate below the fire box allows still decent size chunks to fall through into the ash box. These are useful to get the chips smoking.
When I empty the ash bucket I filter these out and put them back through the chute mixed throughout the lumps and briqs.
I figure they couldn't hurt.

Have fun with your 560.
Stay Safe
Stay Well.

Reactions: negolien
I don't use wi fi and could care less if it croaks.
My Masterbuilt gravity smoker is the best thing since sliced bread, it holds the set temps endlessly and I can recline in my La-Z-Boy with beers in hand all day with nary a concern about what the cooker is doing.
After years of fretting over every 45 minutes of stick adding to my offset, I am in smoker heaven.

Wait till the 560 catches fire. You'll wish you had the app monitoring the thing then. Fires are not uncommon for these grills. Probes get destroyed, and if you don't catch it, it can turn into an inferno. I'd rather be on top of it and see how the cook is going. To each his own

Sigh never had an issue with fire ..Never had an issue with the app. I do keep an eye on my grill as I live 2nd floor apt with pine trees so.. I don't see this unit being any MORE prone to a fire than any other grills really so /shrug.

Reactions: PPG1
560 is still doing well and I have a brisket in the cooler now that will be ready for dinner!

- I don't have any problem with the top hopper lid and gasket. I just keep the area free of charcoal bits which can happen when you pour in the coal/lump
- The charcoal does fall through the grate but as others said, you can sift it out. I find that using lump works better in terms of less waste
- smoke is awesome... I use wood/chips in the hopper and in the ash pan
- the temp controller on the iphone works excellent. You do have to reconnect each time you lift the grill lid but you should rarely lift the lid.
- I haven't had a flare up but I don't do a lot of 700+ cooking/searing. I Have done some steaks without any issue. I think hamburgers and other greasy foods could present the usual flare ups in a 700 degree grill

Reactions: negolien
As a new user of Masterbuilt and a 560 I must say I'm impressed with the grill. Its truely an amazing piece of hardware.
The app however, leaves much to be desired and I'd be the first to suggest operator error. Problem is there's no useful information available to help you. Mine is several versions behind but trying to understand how one gets this thing updated has been a lost cause. It will connect with both bluetooth and wifi but "almost" everytime I hit the connect button after openning a door, it loses connection. I'm forced to completely set everything up again to move forward. I suspect this isn't necessary but haven't found a way around it.

I do love this grill however. But it would be nice to get updated on the app/controller.

The Weber is like the VeeDub of smokers... practical, reliable, economical.

The 560 is like moving up to a Shelby Cobra !
I like the comparison of the 560 to a VW for all the reasons you pointed out. For the $ impossible to beat.
I have to leave you with the comparison to the Shelby Cobra. Loaded Chevy yes. Cobra no JMHO :emoji_wink:

• Haha
New to this forum because of this grill. I’m shopping for a new one and saw this. I’ve read all the comments, won’t ask for anyone’s resume or anything like that, but elsewhere in my research I’ve seen complaints about the paint on the gravity hopper melting away fairly quickly. No one here that I saw has mentioned that. Is it a non-issue, or is it not a common occurrence? Thanks, and I’m really leaning toward this grill, as it seems to be the best option for smoking and high temp grilling.

The paint on the inside of the hopper lid doesn’t last long. From what I’ve seen, they no longer paint it from the factory. I use a piece of heavy duty foil between the lid and hopper. Problem solved.

Thanks, and I’m really leaning toward this grill, as it seems to be the best option for smoking and high temp grilling.
The 560 or 1060 is worth the money. They are magnificent machines.
I have had mine since January and have done maybe 60 cooks.
It is incredibly versatile.
I have even sterilized soil for my wife's seedlings... 45 minutes @ 190' !

I don't see the creosote build up (aka peeled paint) as a problem.
One issue that you will have is replacing the firebox with Stainless Steel.
There is a guy that makes the kits and it is a pretty easy fix.
This is a brand new product and we are working out the bugs.

The 560 or 1060 is worth the money. They are magnificent machines.
I have had mine since January and have done maybe 60 cooks.
It is incredibly versatile.
I have even sterilized soil for my wife's seedlings... 45 minutes @ 190' !

I don't see the creosote build up (aka peeled paint) as a problem.
One issue that you will have is replacing the firebox with Stainless Steel.
There is a guy that makes the kits and it is a pretty easy fix.
This is a brand new product and we are working out the bugs.
Can you provide a link to the stainless steel fix? Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky