Masterbuilt Gravity 1050 Charcoal Consumption

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow, after reading this, I’m glad I still have my WSM 22.5/BBQ GURU setup.
22 hours on one load of fuel mixed with wood chunks. Sounds like a real bargain to me. And I really liked the design of the MB gravity feed, but that is a lot of fuel. I don’t think my Lang uses that much wood in $.
Al

I used to have a WSM 18" before I had to sell it when I moved across the country. I'd use about half to 2/3 a bag dotted with wood chunks and using the Minion Method to do a pork butt and it would last the full cook-- 14-18 hours or so. I didn't even have a temp controller like the Guru or any other mod. Just tuned the vents where I liked them and it was as "set it and forget it" as I now get with my GMG pellet pooper. I miss the charcoal taste and was considering a MB Gravity (and now the Char-Griller 980), but if I'm honest, I'd probably get better overall performance and efficiency if I just get another WSM.

Wow, after reading this, I’m glad I still have my WSM 22.5/BBQ GURU setup.
22 hours on one load of fuel mixed with wood chunks. Sounds like a real bargain to me. And I really liked the design of the MB gravity feed, but that is a lot of fuel. I don’t think my Lang uses that much wood in $.
Al
There is no need to spread disinformation about a product. I have had my MB Gravity Fed for almost 2 years and I can assure you that that amount of charcoal is not normal. I'm not saying anyone is doing it on purpose and I'm not defending MB but if burned that much Charcoal it would be all over in reviews. All I see are rave reviews that people love them. Now I'll step off my soapbox and apologies to anyone I upset.

There is no need to spread disinformation about a product. I have had my MB Gravity Fed for almost 2 years and I can assure you that that amount of charcoal is not normal. I'm not saying anyone is doing it on purpose and I'm not defending MB but if burned that much Charcoal it would be all over in reviews. All I see are rave reviews that people love them. Now I'll step off my soapbox and apologies to anyone I upset.

If you read my posts, I'm not spreading disinformation. I said that my experience appears to be contradictory to others'. The whole point of the thread is to have people who own it (like yourself) post how much charcoal they use to see if mine might have a problem. You came in, said "we are spreading disinformation" said you've owned it for 2 years, but didn't even answer the original question of how much you go through. How will I know if I am having a problem if people who own it don't reply with real information.

While I have never timed or measured my actual consumption rate, I would guess that I'm getting close to the advertised time of up to 8 hrs using lump @ 225°.
Mine does eat thru briquettes like chiclets. Last long cook I put a brisket on at midnight and refill the hopper it's 7 a.m. and it was not completely empty. Hope that helps

Reactions: RSK
While I have never timed or measured my actual consumption rate, I would guess that I'm getting close to the advertised time of up to 8 hrs using lump @ 225°.
Mine does eat thru briquettes like chiclets. Last long cook I put a brisket on at midnight and refill the hopper it's 7 a.m. and it was not completely empty. Hope that helps

It can fit 16lbs in the hopper, so that means about 2lbs per hour at 225 degrees. Is that what they advertise?

If you read my posts, I'm not spreading disinformation. I said that my experience appears to be contradictory to others'. The whole point of the thread is to have people who own it (like yourself) post how much charcoal they use to see if mine might have a problem. You came in, said "we are spreading disinformation" said you've owned it for 2 years, but didn't even answer the original question of how much you go through. How will I know if I am having a problem if people who own it don't reply with real information.
Sorry I ruffled so many feathers. I did answer as to how much fuel I consumed Yesterday in a reply.

Reactions: bill1
How many lbs is a load in your WSM and what temp are you running for the 22 hours?
I fill the charcoal ring to the top with a mix of briquettes & wood chunks. I run it at 225-250. I set the Guru to 225 & it will stay there after a couple of hours. The first couple of hours it will over shoot the temp & run a a bit hot, but then it settles in at 225, and stays there the rest of the time.
Al

Reactions: 912smoker
It can fit 16lbs in the hopper, so that means about 2lbs per hour at 225 degrees. Is that what they advertise?
Yep "up to 8 hrs per hopper full".
I use either lump or the char logs when I can find them. The local Ace Hardware usually keeps them in stock for me.

We put on a brisket a 1 am last night. It was 39 degrees out side. It is now almost 8am and 44 degrees outside. We have about 1/4 -1/3 hopper left. The smoker was set at 250 and used wood chunks and Masterbuilt Lump Charcoal. Which I love because the pieces are really big. I hope this helps.

Reactions: PPG1
I haven't had my 1050 too long but the fuel consumption seems to be about as advertised for me. It chews through a lot more fuel when you crank the temps. If you are looking to get the maximum efficiency out of your fuel then the MB or CG gravity smokers probably aren't for you. They do offer loads of other advantages that IMO offset the increased fuel use, but that is an entirely personal perspective and will vary.

For fuel reference I am using Kingsford Traditional briquettes now, but will most likely switch to Kingsford Competition when it's time to restock. The competition is advertised as lower ash, which wasn't ever an issue for me in my WSM but now there is a little bit of ash in the cook chamber because of the fan.

Reactions: PPG1 and 912smoker
that consumption is directly related to the temps you were running. Unlike cooking on a charcoal grill with direct heat, this is essentially indirect heat so to get to 500° + you will eat it up.

There is also a shutdown factor. That is the one thing i really can't figure out how to get my arms around other than guessing how much charcoal i need to use and refill if necessary.

FYI- you will not get to 700° unless that hopper is at least 1/3 full.

To sum up (and add some wild ideas)
1. There's waste at shutdown. Timing your fills to your cooks can save 10-20%. Just like your engine sputtering as you pull up to the pump, you want the last coal to drop through as you remove your last piece of meat.
2. Coals that fall through transfer a lot of their heat to the outside world. Minimizing that with charcoal grate mods help. (The original poster has already addressed this.)
3. Some fuel is more energy dense...choice of charcoal can make a difference. Then again, think the price is corresponding higher. (A little higher mpg is no big plus if you have to use Premium gas to get it.)
4. Adding some raw wood chunks is usually done for smoke flavor reasons, but it also has more energy (than charcoal that has already been "halfway burned up" already)
5. Keeping the heat in the cook chamber longer will help. So think about how you can use manifolding to make the hot air take a longer path and thereby "stick around longer" in the cook chamber. The bottom steel plate in a conventional reverse-flow smoker does a lot to get more energy out of your smoke before it goes up the pipe.
6. Reducing fan speed will slow down your combustion rate as you reduce the amount of heat you're throwing out the exhaust. Of course then you might flame out and go cold. But that could be something to play with. I've put switchable resistors in line with the fan in both my pellet machines...this would be similar. Yeah, probably voids any warranty one might have had. And it will definitely give bigger temp swings since manually changing fan speed in the middle of a cook confuses the controller logic.
7. A modest back-pressure will reduce flow a bit too. Partially plugging the exhaust vents is what I'm thinking. Wads of aluminum foil work pretty good there. Even safe is space a deflector ~1/8" from the opening...the pressure doesn't build up but most of the hot smoke is deflected for a little more time in chamber before it finds its way out.

ADDENDUM--about a 2.5 in the list...retain the heat in the cook chamber better, for example insulating the walls better with a welding blanket, etc.

I'm new to charcoal grills. I've been 100% propane until I wanted to start smoking and then bought a cheap masterbuilt electric with Amazing pellet deal. Then moved on to a ReqTec Rt-700 before moving away from pellets to get more flavor.

Enter the Masterbuilt 1050. So far I've done the following:
1 hour burn in at 250 degrees
30 min burn in at 400 degrees
30 min seasoning at 350 degrees
20 min steak cook at 550 degrees
30 min seasoning at 350 degrees
1 hour chicken cook between 275 and 450 degrees

So total of about 4 hours at maybe 350 degrees average and I've almost burned through an entire 18lbs bag of Kingsford competition briquettes. I'd say I have 4 lbs left. So 14lbs in 4 hours is 3.5 lbs per hour.

Does that sound right? That is going to get very expensive at between $0.50 and $0.80 a lbs for briquettes.

For comparison, my Weber propane says it averages 1lbs an hour at $1/lbs of propane and my old pellet grill would go at maybe 1 or 1.5lbs per hour at $0.40/lbs.

Looks like this might be 2-3x the price of other fuels.
enough homework before You bought? I disliked having the husband always on a propane/ lava rock bbq.... now on my own, I get to use charcoal all over again.. I start with charcoal and add wood ( not lil' chunks),throughout the rest of the cook. Like I'm camping, cooking with wood... the cost is about $5 for hours of smoking

Reactions: PPG1
enough homework before You bought? I disliked having the husband always on a propane/ lava rock bbq.... now on my own, I get to use charcoal all over again.. I start with charcoal and add wood ( not lil' chunks),throughout the rest of the cook. Like I'm camping, cooking with wood... the cost is about $5 for hours of smoking

You ate your husband? How did he taste?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky