Masterbuilt electric project

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Auber 1510H showed up on the porch the other day. Just did a boil test on the probes and apparently water boils at my house at 211, both probes, temp and mini food. Probably haul the MES into the garage one day this week and do it up. Too much going on this weekend to mess with it. Still debating on the mailbox or ammo can....

Reactions: tallbm
Auber 1510H showed up on the porch the other day. Just did a boil test on the probes and apparently water boils at my house at 211, both probes, temp and mini food. Probably haul the MES into the garage one day this week and do it up. Too much going on this weekend to mess with it. Still debating on the mailbox or ammo can....
Nice, soon you will be one of us :D

So just curious but how is the smoke ring on the things you guys cook in these with the mailbox mod. I know it's not necessarily important but I do like it as an aesthetic point.

I'm not expecting it to be like my 300 gallon rf but some smoke ring would be nice.

So just curious but how is the smoke ring on the things you guys cook in these with the mailbox mod. I know it's not necessarily important but I do like it as an aesthetic point.

I'm not expecting it to be like my 300 gallon rf but some smoke ring would be nice.
With an electric it's non-existent.

Someone on here burns a few charcoal briquettes in their electric to get a little smoke ring going. I toyed around with some ideas but never tried them. Thought if I crushed up some charcoal into the bottom of my AMNPS tray and then put pellets on top I thought it might do something but never tried.

With an electric it's non-existent.

Someone on here burns a few charcoal briquettes in their electric to get a little smoke ring going. I toyed around with some ideas but never tried them. Thought if I crushed up some charcoal into the bottom of my AMNPS tray and then put pellets on top I thought it might do something but never tried.
The convenience is worth it as long as the flavor is there

I may toy around with some things, the b and b competition logs maybe?

Maybe light 1 or 2 really well and keep a little airflow going.

Last edited:
The auber wifi pid came in yesterday and the rest came in today from Amazon. I am going to do the ammo can mod.

I rewired the mes 30 a few minutes ago and plugged it directly into the wall...it heats up and smokes. Even got a small flame from a stray old chip or 2. Thanks tallbm tallbm for the write up. My mes 30 looked significantly different than the pics in the thread but it's not hard to figure out.

I need to get a new router to use the wifi feature as these run on the 2.4ghz band. Comcast thought they would be smart and take away the ability to name the 2.4 and 5 ghz ssids differently. Now my phone wants to connect to the 5ghz and the auber app barks at me. Oh well, easy cheap fix.

Attachments

• 20211026_162150.jpg
    20211026_162150.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20211026_162323.jpg
    20211026_162323.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 20211026_170105.jpg
    20211026_170105.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 82
The auber wifi pid came in yesterday and the rest came in today from Amazon. I am going to do the ammo can mod.

I rewired the mes 30 a few minutes ago and plugged it directly into the wall...it heats up and smokes. Even got a small flame from a stray old chip or 2. Thanks tallbm tallbm for the write up. My mes 30 looked significantly different than the pics in the thread but it's not hard to figure out.

I need to get a new router to use the wifi feature as these run on the 2.4ghz band. Comcast thought they would be smart and take away the ability to name the 2.4 and 5 ghz ssids differently. Now my phone wants to connect to the 5ghz and the auber app barks at me. Oh well, easy cheap fix.

Nice man, welcome to the PID club!!! :D

You are about to enter a whole new world of amazing BBQ my friend.
Also make sure you get a Comcast approved router to save yourself from having to send a router back. Also I think if you return the router they stop charging you monthly for using their router... if it is like that there with your service.

Soon you will be doing sausage, bacon, jerky, cold smokes, etc. etc. all with precision!

If you start cold smoking let us know and we can give you some tips on keeping the air circulating to avoid stale smoke flavors on the food. It's another little gadget project I think you would like :)

Nice man, welcome to the PID club!!! :D

You are about to enter a whole new world of amazing BBQ my friend.
Also make sure you get a Comcast approved router to save yourself from having to send a router back. Also I think if you return the router they stop charging you monthly for using their router... if it is like that there with your service.

Soon you will be doing sausage, bacon, jerky, cold smokes, etc. etc. all with precision!

If you start cold smoking let us know and we can give you some tips on keeping the air circulating to avoid stale smoke flavors on the food. It's another little gadget project I think you would like :)
Thanks for all the help!

I'll post back in here as soon as I get some meat on. I've got some dinos that need smoking.

Tomorrow I'll pick up my ammo box and get that out of the way.

I followed tallbm's instructions. I tell you what, I am seriously challenged when it comes to stuff like this but the way he layed it out even I had no problems. Thanks tallbm!
I don't recall what model Auber I got but man my Mes40 is great now. Seems to jack up my electric bill though, is that normal?

Me think you should cut down on them packers, like once a month. See if your bill getting better.

Ammo can mod is complete. I'm going to grab another router and get this thing up and running.

Attachments

• 20211027_152604.jpg
    20211027_152604.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20211027_152524.jpg
    20211027_152524.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: normanaj
Mine is a WS-1510ELPM. No problems at all. Extremely reliable. Here’s a pic of my setupView attachment 513564
It looks like you have added a chimney vent. That is something that I have been looking for some info about but no one responded.

I am thinking about putting a seal around my door and adding a vent. I figure if I seal the door I need a vent.

Anyhow, any thoughts?

Oops! That metal pipe in the background was part of the fence when I took the photo. Yes the smoker has a vent on top, but does not protrude up. Sorry for the error.

Looks good! I'm way behind on every thing around here. Hopefully get the MES wired up today.

Looks good! I'm way behind on every thing around here. Hopefully get the MES wired up today.

Nice! If you have any tuning setting questions here are some values that may work very well or get you very much into the ballpark:

1. P7, I208, D210
2. P3, I210, D0

Reactions: bill1
I've been using P mode since I got the Auber Jan 2018 with the Mes 40. The 30 I'm sure is different. My go to rack is the second from the top and I hang the probe from the top rack threaded down the top vent on the right side. The heat will be hottest just under the top vent on that side stacking like a water heater to get out as air moves around so near my food on that side the sensor is an inch off the right wall gets me my upper cabinet temp, max temp and all other areas around my food is that or cooler. 10 degrees cooler on the left side with food in. So P=1, I=0 and D=0. One degree below set temp is full power and 1/2 degree below is 50% pulsing and set temp off for 225+ smokes. The resolution is in single degrees but the controller reacts in tenths not seen. So If I change P to 3 and leave others 0, then three degrees below set temp is 3/3 full power, then two degrees below set temp is 2/3, 66%, then one degree is 1/3, 33%, then off at set temp. This is good for fish, sausage low temp ramping up. In P mode at P=1 gives 50% flashing power the highest power reaction when coming down from set temp so cooking at 275 will react the fastest to eliminate down swing over a few cycles and no overshoot set temp. If P=0 no matter I and O setting it's an on/off controller like the stock Mes controller. I set the temp ten degrees below desired cooking temp for a few cycles then set to my fixed cook temp. No waiting (flashing) pulsing power well below set temp. The controller cruises right to it and overshoots on preheating not with a heat sink of meat but cools faster at the beginning of the smoke so 5-6 degree down swing and shortens in a few cycles At higher temps or max 275 I need a fast reaction when dropping below set temp and P mode seems to do it the best vs out of the box P7, I600 and D150 setting as well as autotune. Give it a shot just write down settings and go back to your favorite setting. It seems full PID mode with a variable >0 in all three areas is for smaller volumes and/or small vents like smokers with a 3/4" vent. The hotter you cook with a larger vent with a large volume seem to need a fast reaction for P mode.

The first smoke went ok. I learned a few things.

Issue 1: backdraft. I got what seemed like reverse airflow at times where smoke would vent out of the ammo can damper rather than the cabinet damper.

Would a stack on the cabinet better help it to draw?

Also, when I screwed the ammo can onto the cabinet, I did not seal around it. I will go back with some rtv or silicone and fix that.

Issue #2: pellets in amps won't stay lit. I did dry them in the microwave beforehand and it was slightly damp outside but I had to relight several times.

This may be directly related to Issue #1.

Do my thoughts seem logical here? Am I missing anything?

Was the damper vent on the ammo box, fully open? Put holes on the bottom of the ammo box to add more direct venting to the lit pellets, especially those lit on the opposite end of the ammo box from the damper vent?

Was the damper vent on the ammo box, fully open? Put holes on the bottom of the ammo box to add more direct venting to the lit pellets, especially those lit on the opposite end of the ammo box from the damper vent?
I tried the damper in several positions. Fully open resulted in smoke flowing out of the damper on the ammo can.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky