Masterbuilt Cold Smoker Add-On

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sacsmitty

Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
Rocklin, CA
I'm new to the world of Masterbuilt so forgive the novice question.

I've watched a ton of videos on YouTube and I really like (and see the advantages) to the cold smoker attachment. I started pricing things out to look at the "mailbox mod" but it isn't that much less than just buying the cold smoker add-on from Amazon.

My question is simple... can anyone recommend a material that is safe to create a better seal on the top hatch of the cold smoker attachment? Like some kind of weather stripping to keep smoke from leaking out the top.

Any advice is appreciated. :)

You'll need to figure out the thickness you need, but you could probably gasket it.
Chances are a big box store, fireplace/Bar-B-Que Store, would have gasketing, or may be of help.
Myself, I don't go for "air tight". If I see a little smoke leakin I don't worry about it as long as there is smoke coming out the vent on my smoker.

Thank you for the advice. I'm used to my pellet smoker that never seemed to get good smoke. However, I put my A-MAZE-N 12" tube in and WOW, these Masterbuilts hold that smoke REALLY good. I don't think making the cold smoker lid air tight needed anymore. :)

Reactions: SonnyE
I just put a wood split on top of mine, but anything heavy enough to tighten the lid would work, like a brick or something.
full

Al

Reactions: SonnyE
I'm new to the world of Masterbuilt so forgive the novice question.

I've watched a ton of videos on YouTube and I really like (and see the advantages) to the cold smoker attachment. I started pricing things out to look at the "mailbox mod" but it isn't that much less than just buying the cold smoker add-on from Amazon.

My question is simple... can anyone recommend a material that is safe to create a better seal on the top hatch of the cold smoker attachment? Like some kind of weather stripping to keep smoke from leaking out the top.

Any advice is appreciated. :)

Or just get the AMNPS, and put it right inside your MES.

Been doing that for 8 years without any problems.

Bear

Bear,

I gave that a shot and did a 16lb brisket. I used an AMNPS and got 12 hours of REALLY good smoke. The end product cut like butter and was amazing!!! Thanks again for the tip.

Attachments

• 4550CBA8-07EB-4BA8-95C3-42F087B26C85.jpeg
    4550CBA8-07EB-4BA8-95C3-42F087B26C85.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 85
  • E64C20D8-0AB3-4F2A-B9BC-94D74FFF1C99.jpeg
    E64C20D8-0AB3-4F2A-B9BC-94D74FFF1C99.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 81
Bear,

I gave that a shot and did a 16lb brisket. I used an AMNPS and got 12 hours of REALLY good smoke. The end product cut like butter and was amazing!!! Thanks again for the tip.

That's Great Smitty!!
I'm real glad it works for you!!
So much less hassle that way, and Great Smoke flavor!

Bear

If your going to buy a CSK now is the time to do it as most retailers like Cabelas and Basspro have jacked up the price to $70.Wallyworld and Amazon still have them for $55.I toyed with idea of doing a mailbox mod or getting the CSK but I guess I'm just lazy and/or cheap!

I use the tubes instead of the tray,but like Bear I just stick it inside the smoker and let it do its thing.I guess I'm just one of those people who hates to complicate things.

replying to an old post regarding the cold smoke attachment. don't get it. mine, after several uses, maybe even from the get-go, the quality of smoke has been bad. not sure if it's the chimney design but i've abandoned it altogether. like bear and others have said, the AMNPS is the way to go. Getting perfect TBS (thin blue smoke) now.

I have 2 of the CS'rs gathering dust. The idea makes sense, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Biggest problem I had with them is the chips getting stuck in the feeder after about 20 minutes. It's just having to be around to go out every so often and tamp the chips down to the burner. PITA. AMAZEN tubes are where it's at.

I have 2 of the CS'rs gathering dust. The idea makes sense, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Biggest problem I had with them is the chips getting stuck in the feeder after about 20 minutes. It's just having to be around to go out every so often and tamp the chips down to the burner. PITA. AMAZEN tubes are where it's at.

exactly. same issues and then i had billowing white smoke from the creosote.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky