Masterbuilt 560 fuel lump vs briquettes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Lump vs briquettes in the masterbuilt 560

• Lump

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Briquettes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 50/50 lump/briquettes

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You need a third choice on fuel.

I mix my lump and briquets 50/50.

I might go all briquets if I am searing.

Right now I am smoking about a pound of diced habanero.
Pecan wood.
160'.
Mesquite lump & Kingsford briquets.
To be dried and ground into powder.
I figure 1 lb of fresh will produce around 1 oz of powder.

The 560 is pretty versatile.
You can probably burn just about anything you shove down it.
You could burn chunks that are small enough.
I have burned large lumps (more like small limbs) but you need to position them with thought to how they will shift and burn at the bottom.
For lump I have been using Mesquite that I can get in 20 lb bags for $16.
I buy the 2x 20lb (40lb) twin packs of Kingsford for $22.

The 560 is pretty versatile.
You can probably burn just about anything you shove down it.
You could burn chunks that are small enough.
I have burned large lumps (more like small limbs) but you need to position them with thought to how they will shift and burn at the bottom.
For lump I have been using Mesquite that I can get in 20 lb bags for $16.
I buy the 2x 20lb (40lb) twin packs of Kingsford for $22.
Just bought some kingsford blue And some royal oak to try that was on sale. I use kingsford in my wsm

Reactions: Will Squared
I plan on buying 1 soon and will run Kingsford original , will cut some hickory up I cut down 1.5 yrs ago into small chunks . not sure the charcoal will make a large difference while smoking but maybe a little while just grilling. If I didn't have wood the Kingsford with hickory or mesquite added to it works great or did, they about priced it outta my reach.

I use B&B lump only now. Tried the B&B char logs. Didn't like the smell and they didn't cook as long as people had been saying for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky