• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Masterbuilt 560 fuel lump vs briquettes

Lump vs briquettes in the masterbuilt 560

• Lump

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Briquettes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 50/50 lump/briquettes

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Will Squared

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 24, 2020
Right now I am smoking about a pound of diced habanero.
Pecan wood.
160'.
Mesquite lump & Kingsford briquets.
To be dried and ground into powder.
I figure 1 lb of fresh will produce around 1 oz of powder.

Will Squared

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 24, 2020
The 560 is pretty versatile.
You can probably burn just about anything you shove down it.
You could burn chunks that are small enough.
I have burned large lumps (more like small limbs) but you need to position them with thought to how they will shift and burn at the bottom.
For lump I have been using Mesquite that I can get in 20 lb bags for $16.
I buy the 2x 20lb (40lb) twin packs of Kingsford for $22.

tomtopping

Fire Starter
Joined Apr 9, 2016
The 560 is pretty versatile.
You can probably burn just about anything you shove down it.
You could burn chunks that are small enough.
I have burned large lumps (more like small limbs) but you need to position them with thought to how they will shift and burn at the bottom.
For lump I have been using Mesquite that I can get in 20 lb bags for $16.
I buy the 2x 20lb (40lb) twin packs of Kingsford for $22.
Just bought some kingsford blue And some royal oak to try that was on sale. I use kingsford in my wsm

rexster314

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 7, 2012
I've been using B&B Char Logs for the last couple of months. Pure heat, not much smoke, which lets me choose what type of smoking wood I want for the food I'm cooking

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
I plan on buying 1 soon and will run Kingsford original , will cut some hickory up I cut down 1.5 yrs ago into small chunks . not sure the charcoal will make a large difference while smoking but maybe a little while just grilling. If I didn't have wood the Kingsford with hickory or mesquite added to it works great or did, they about priced it outta my reach.

hinds90

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 16, 2017
I use B&B lump only now. Tried the B&B char logs. Didn't like the smell and they didn't cook as long as people had been saying for me.

ross77

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 1, 2013
I use mostly briquettes. Lump definitely doesn't last as long due to the openings in the charcoal grates. I'm going to try 50/50 mix.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.