Masterbuilt 40"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rexster314

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 7, 2012
Texas Gulf Coast
Ok, so I already had 2 of these suckers I bought over 2 years ago. I use them mainly for cold smoking my home cured bellies and every other month or so I hot smoke canadian bacon. I like the 40" models as the cooking grates can hold a full belly. So I've been doing so many bellies at once I decided to add another MES to the table to get them done faster. Since I only wanted the cabinet, I didn't care if the cooking part worked or not. I didn't want to buy someone else's smoker so I started looking on ebay for a returned or broken, as new smoker. I found several "parts only" smokers, several from VM Innovations. I've purchased other stuff from their online store before, and they've always had good prices. The item contained everything, cooking grates, wheels, etc. So, at 140$ including shipping I popped out for it. It came in three days via FEDEX, arriving yesterday. The exterior boxing was a little worse for wear, but when I opened it up I found that it contained original shipping material and looked as if it had never been removed from the box. Everything was there, including the digital control that is mounted on top of the smoker. Never used, or plugged in as far as I could tell. After setting it up, and making sure all the styrofoam packing was removed, I decided to plug it in and see if it would work. Powered it on, set the temp and time and the unit came on and began heating. Wonder of wonders, everything worked as it should, even the interior light that will eventually get smoked over. I pulled up a chair and watched it get up to 250 degrees and was checking it against my SMOKE thermometer. It held within 5 degrees which is fine with me. I'll be doing some more testing, actually cooking something, but it appears I got a fully functional 40" MES for less than 150 bucks.

Reactions: chopsaw and dr k
Wow!!
That's Awesome Rex!!
LOL---As I was reading your story, I kept waiting for the part that was "Bad" & Didn't Work, but Thankfully it never came!!

Congrats,

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
I just was at Sam's and the bluetooth is gone and replaced with a Gen 1 40 hybrid, half SS and black painted, no rf remote for $300.00. I wonder if Sam's got sick of returns based on the lousy BT range that customers care about and MB doesn't. I still don't understand MB's apathy regarding their unacceptable BT and not able to get it down when BT digital therms go to 170'. I go to my smoker to make changes with the PID but if it's a selling feature I can see how a perfectly good smoker with unacceptable BT can irk people to return it.

I just was at Sam's and the bluetooth is gone and replaced with a Gen 1 40 hybrid, half SS and black painted, no rf remote for $300.00. I wonder if Sam's got sick of returns based on the lousy BT range that customers care about and MB doesn't. I still don't understand MB's apathy regarding their unacceptable BT and not able to get it down when BT digital therms go to 170'. I go to my smoker to make changes with the PID but if it's a selling feature I can see how a perfectly good smoker with unacceptable BT can irk people to return it.

I thought they were making the BT better, but maybe I got bad info.
I couldn't understand why they went to BT in the first place with the Gen #2.5.
They changed all the things I told them to change, but then they made them BT.
I don't even have a Remote, because I don't have anything to use with my BT.
My old RF remotes were good to well over 300 feet, and right through my walls.
My MES RF remote was even Far better than any of my Mavericks!!! Hell, I used to be able to sit in my back yard & control my MES RF on my front porch!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky