Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker control panel replacement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Firemedic911

Original poster
Nov 21, 2020
I have a Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker (model# 20072612). I restored it from father in laws backyard. I gave it some attention (replaced the element and a few cosmetics) and was able to smoke a rack of ribs on it. After that, the control panel quit working. It was missing the button covers already (see pics). I have tried to find a replacement for the control panel and have struck out all together. Not sure if masterbuilt is just not making it anymore amd if that means this smoker i have is obselete. Im really hoping not. Do any of you smoking veterams have Amy suggestions or advice? Im willing to pay for one if I can find one. Would like to get back to smoking some stuff soon.

Attachments

• 1121202004_HDR.jpg
    1121202004_HDR.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 498
  • 1121202004a_HDR.jpg
    1121202004a_HDR.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 507
  • 1121202004d_HDR.jpg
    1121202004d_HDR.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 491
Sounds like a great time to switch to a pid, check out tallbm's post on them
What he said. $150 or so for an Auber PID controller and a simple rewiring job and you will have a smoker better than the original ever was.

Reactions: Firemedic911
Exactly. I switched last year and haven't looked back. Made it into an entirely better smoker. Upped my smoking game tremendously.

Reactions: Firemedic911
Awesome. Thanks guys. I found tallbm's post you were referring to. Im definitely going to be picking me up one of those!

I had some problems with the electric smoker, when I turned it on I just couldn't control it, like for real

I had some problems with the electric smoker, when I turned it on I just couldn't control it, like for real
I have since solved my problem thanks to tallbm tallbm on here. He has been a life saver. Get you an Auber PID. Problem solved. Tallbm has a rewire guide that is step by step easy and makes your smoker better anyway. Do it man.

Can you link that guide?
Hi there and welcome!

Here you go:

Long story short. The simple rewire makes the MES so that the cord directly feeds power to the heating element completely UNCONTROLLED.
You then plug the MES plug into something like an Auber PID controller. You plug the PID into the wall and throw the temp probe into the smoker.
You set the temp in the PID controller and the PID will feed power on/off to the MES to hit the set temp and hold the temp.

When you step back and look at it, it's simple but just has some areas to understand first to then become simple :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky