Masterbilt Cast Iron Skillet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cross72091

Original poster
Apr 17, 2021
So I’ve run into the same problem as a lot of people with my Masterbilt John Maclemore Signature Series where it gets too hot due to the stupid design of the chip pan. Im going to use a cast iron skillet as the chip pan. Does anyone know if I should use dry chips and chunks or if I should soak them for bit.

When I was still using my MB gasser I wound up using a small CI skillet on top of that silly "chip pan". It worked alright but make sure you have a really good glove while adding chips!! I used chips and soaked them....

Reactions: Cross72091
The only 'chip logic' in any application I can buy into is to never soak your chips UNLESS you want some kind of time release function from them. Wet chips have to dry out before making any smoke, so using all wet chips is not the best approach. Using dry chips with some wet ones will give you early smoke, then when the wet ones dry out you get some later smoke.

My 'Chief' smokers were intended for using chips, I now use a good quality pellets.

Reactions: Cross72091
So I’ve run into the same problem as a lot of people with my Masterbilt John Maclemore Signature Series where it gets too hot due to the stupid design of the chip pan. Im going to use a cast iron skillet as the chip pan. Does anyone know if I should use dry chips and chunks or if I should soak them for bit.
I use a MB gasser. I use a CI skillet on top of the chip pan and use chunks. Has worked well for me the past year.
Jim

I’m not familiar with your smoker, but I have had a Smoke Vault for 8 or 9 years & I only use chunks in it, unless it’s going to be a short smoke, i.e. under an hour , then I will use a combo of chunks & chips. BUT NEVER SOAK THE CHIPS OR CHUNKS. You will figure it out after a few smokes & it will all be good!
Al

Reactions: Ooaaronoo
The chips or chunks, soak or not soak debate has been going on here since I became a member and likely before that, Cross.
You're just going to have to experiment and come to your own conclusions....

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky