1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Mass pepper drying

Discussion in 'Drying/Dehydrating' started by Holly2015, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Went to the grocery store today and they had some very nice look Habaneros fro $3.59 a pound. I ended up getting 1lb witht he intend on drying them for later use.

When I got home there was a Walmart bag of mixed hot peppers waiting outside my door a friend dropped off. Probably about 3 pounds worth.

I like to cut in half to dry them but the habaneros alone used up 2 tray in the dehydrator. So that got me to thinking. I had some leftover latch hook mat for dring cheese I though why not cut it to fit the dehydrator tray them pulse the peppers

Well it worked a treat. I pulsed up 3 trays worth of peppers in the ninja blender and they along with the 2 tray of habanero halves are currently drying away in the garage. By the way the garage is a bit toxic from all the pepper fumes.

Pepper drying 1.png Pepper drying.jpg Dried peppers.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  2. AllAces

AllAces Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I have dried various hot peppers in my gas oven, but now do it in my Weber kettle. If I want hickory smoke I throw in a few pieces of wood the last 30 minutes.

3. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Cool idea any port in a storm. You have to stir the relish while drying?

Warren

4. BuckeyeSteve

BuckeyeSteve Fire Starter

Haha, I can relate to that. I had a friend in NOVA send me a box of bhut jolikia and scotch bonnet peppers he grew. I wasn't sure what to do with them, so I built a drying rack to sun dry them. But they wouldn't get dry so I came up with the idea of putting them inside my cargo van since on a hot day it easily gets 140+ inside. After a day I opened the back doors to check on them, and it felt like I was pepper sprayed in the face. For several months afterward every time I drove that van my face burned a little.

5. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

What if you were to use a dehydrator, and smoke on the wet end, or smoke on the dry end after dehydrating the Peppers?
    And do it in an open air setting. Like a porch, or a shed, somewhere the oils can't build up?
    I really like my Presto Dehydro. But I do dislike the roundness.
    I work with it, but I think square is a better use of the racks.
    A dehydrator can be used with controlled temperature, and it pumps the pepper oil laden air away into the breeze.

6. Lately I don't smoke any of the peppers and simply dehydrate for later use. Smoking them limits what I can use them in.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  7. Well it took about 22 hours at 130 degrees to get 99% of the peppers to dry. I did stir/fluff them with a fork twice in the 22 hours. This is going to be one of my go to methods as it really simplified the process and I was able to easily double or triple amount of peppers I can dry at one time.

8. I just pulled the Habanero's off the dehydrator and weighed them. I started out with .95lb of peppers or 430g. After drying the total weight of the peppers is 54g.

9. jeffinn

jeffinn Smoke Blower

Your method is the way I dehydrate all my peppers. They store well and re-hydrate easily! And they don’t take up much space.