Mass pepper drying

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
By the way the garage is a bit toxic from all the pepper fumes.
Haha, I can relate to that. I had a friend in NOVA send me a box of bhut jolikia and scotch bonnet peppers he grew. I wasn't sure what to do with them, so I built a drying rack to sun dry them. But they wouldn't get dry so I came up with the idea of putting them inside my cargo van since on a hot day it easily gets 140+ inside. After a day I opened the back doors to check on them, and it felt like I was pepper sprayed in the face. For several months afterward every time I drove that van my face burned a little.

What if you were to use a dehydrator, and smoke on the wet end, or smoke on the dry end after dehydrating the Peppers?
And do it in an open air setting. Like a porch, or a shed, somewhere the oils can't build up?
I really like my Presto Dehydro. But I do dislike the roundness.
I work with it, but I think square is a better use of the racks.
A dehydrator can be used with controlled temperature, and it pumps the pepper oil laden air away into the breeze.

Your method is the way I dehydrate all my peppers. They store well and re-hydrate easily! And they don’t take up much space.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky