Mason Dixon BBQ Boot Camp?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Has anyone been to a Smokers Course? I know most learn through family and mentors here, including me,, but on my birthday my family gave me a gift certificate to a Smoker boot camp from Mason Dixon in Greencastle Pennsylvania. I’m choosing to take it as a compliment and weekend to be on my own focusing on smoking meat and not a hint that I need help. Just curious if anyone has done this type of thing before or knows Mason Dixon BBQ reputation?
Thank you!
9AC8D19D-3A25-46F1-8559-DB55B2854F88.jpeg

There are a couple of class type things I've seen here in the Memphis area. Looks pretty interesting. They teach techniques and etc. Man that is really a cool gift. Now I gotta rethink what I told my kids what I want for Christmas. I wonder if they provide beer.....Gotta have a cold beer when sitting by the cooker.
Jim

Know nothing about the class, but use to live not to far Green Castle in Maryland. Really pretty area. Not far from Antietam and Gettysburg if you are at all into Civel war stuff, both worth checking out. Love the apple orchards on the slopes of the mountains near Gettysburg.

Reactions: bauchjw
There are a couple of class type things I've seen here in the Memphis area. Looks pretty interesting. They teach techniques and etc. Man that is really a cool gift. Now I gotta rethink what I told my kids what I want for Christmas. I wonder if they provide beer.....Gotta have a cold beer when sitting by the cooker.
Jim
Haha, I was pretty happy and excited to go learn, this one was actually reasonably priced. I really hadn’t heard anyone talking about doing it before so was curious!

Damn man!!!! That sounds like fun. I'd love to take a class like that. Take notes and share they really good stuff with us here please!!!???
I’ll do my best!

My brother-in-law lives in Greencastle, I'll have to ask him about it...
Thank you! Looks like a cool area, curious to hear what he says.

Sounds like a great time. I know Lang has one, and so does Myron Mixon.
Have fun!!
Al
Thank you Al, I was looking at their smokers too. They are priced the same as a Lang, I’m looking forward to trying them out!

Never been to anything like that but I bet it would be a good time. You never know what you might learn and probably meet some cool people as well.
I’m looking forward to it!

Know nothing about the class, but use to live not to far Green Castle in Maryland. Really pretty area. Not far from Antietam and Gettysburg if you are at all into Civel war stuff, both worth checking out. Love the apple orchards on the slopes of the mountains near Gettysburg.
I’ve been to Gettysburg a few times snd driven through the area a few times. It is very beautiful. Should be a great time!

Sounds like a cool gift and experience!
I've thought the Lang class since it's only an hour from home and 30 mins fro the office but never done it. Maybe this coming year

Sounds like a cool gift and experience!
I've thought the Lang class since it's only an hour from home and 30 mins fro the office but never done it. Maybe this coming year
I’m curious if they’d be similar? I think they sound like fun, hanging with a lot of fun people and learning a new things. I’ve been thinking about getting a Lang, just terrifying to drop that much money.

I have been to Myron”s class and had a lot of fun. I did it more for expanding my knowledge in competitions and he was willing help me out with all my questions. I even emailed him few times after with some questions and he always replied

dont know anythinf about class you are going to but encourage you take a lot of notes and experiment with what they tell you and your own likes when you get back home

I have been to Myron”s class and had a lot of fun. I did it more for expanding my knowledge in competitions and he was willing help me out with all my questions. I even emailed him few times after with some questions and he always replied

dont know anythinf about class you are going to but encourage you take a lot of notes and experiment with what they tell you and your own likes when you get back home
I’ll definitely be taking notes. I’m thinking of moonlighting some catering work, I’m already talking with the pit-master and he’s been friendly and a wealth of knowledge. Should be a great experience. I’d like to try a real competition too, but there’s a lot to get worked out and I wouldn’t even know how to start in the competition direction.

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
I had been cooking for only a few months before I told my buddy we were competing in a local even. I had no idea of rules and at time had electric smoker. I finally realized two days before that had I couldnt use that style and bolted on a chargriller to bottom after cutting hole in side. 2 days later I am passed out leaning up against a light post in downtown Jacksonville when Mayor walked up and asked if I was alright. Hadnt slept at all. About an hour later he called my buddy and I for 2nd place pork and I was hooked from then on

a lot of people will say they arent ready for a comp but you dont know until you try. Gather some friends and go have a good time. Walk around and you will get a lot of knowledge. Plus judges will provide comments of what you turn in

Reactions: 912smoker
I had been cooking for only a few months before I told my buddy we were competing in a local even. I had no idea of rules and at time had electric smoker. I finally realized two days before that had I couldnt use that style and bolted on a chargriller to bottom after cutting hole in side. 2 days later I am passed out leaning up against a light post in downtown Jacksonville when Mayor walked up and asked if I was alright. Hadnt slept at all. About an hour later he called my buddy and I for 2nd place pork and I was hooked from then on

a lot of people will say they arent ready for a comp but you dont know until you try. Gather some friends and go have a good time. Walk around and you will get a lot of knowledge. Plus judges will provide comments of what you turn in
That sounds like a good time! I’ve put together a team for our local competition, that’s been a lot of fun. I’ll definitely keep doing do that! I guess I was thinking “the circuit”

Reactions: 912smoker
I've not attended one (and don't have feedback from anyone who has), but I really wanted to get to one of their Brisket Boot Camps this past year.

Heads up--these sell out fast! Every one I looked at was sold out by the time I was looking to book.

I see on their website that they announce dates to gift certificate holders one month before they are made public. Take advantage of that! Book your class within that one month window.

I've not attended one (and don't have feedback from anyone who has), but I really wanted to get to one of their Brisket Boot Camps this past year.

Heads up--these sell out fast! Every one I looked at was sold out by the time I was looking to book.

I'd been keeping an eye on the Mason Dixon BBQ website, waiting for registration for their 2022 bootcamps to open. I really wanted to get to one of their brisket bootcamps, after being shut out last year.

BBQ Bootcamps

As of two weeks ago, registration wasn't open. I checked today, and the registration link showed 5 of their 10 bootcamps were already filled. So I fired off my registration form for the June 11 bootcamp, and soon learned that they were a little behind in updating the website. The only bootcamp for which they still had opening(s) in 2022 was the July 9 bootcamp, which fortunately was one of their brisket bootcamps.

So I'm registered for the July 9 Brisket Bootcamp! Can't wait. Is anyone else on the board planning to attend?

Thats awesome, I'm glad you got in! I wish you would have made the Jun 11 camp, that's the one I'm registered for. Next year on Black Friday after Thanksgiving you can purchase a gift certificate and get to the front of the line for the dates you want. I was able to get my dates right after New years. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes, should be a lot of fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky