March '23 Throwdown: Gone But Not Forgotten (Edited)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OK, so that is the official rule...one member but could use multiple threads? that makes it interesting.

I'd say that you can use them, but yes, only one recipe and only one member get the recognition. You would have to decide which member and their recipe to devote as your entry. Multiple members cannot be recognized with whatever dish you put together, only one. I know fully well that if I were to enter, I'd be putting together a dish that was an accumulation of stuff from a lot of people here that I learned from but the crux of the dish would be a tribute to whichever member had the greatest influence on what I prepared.

Robert

Although multiple threads are allowed in creating an entry. Be very careful when crafting your work. After all the effort you guys put into making these dishes. I wouldn't want to see someone get DQ'd because of a careless mistake or oversight on their part or the understanding of the dish by one of the judges.

Chris

Last edited:
ronp is the first member to pass-on that I can recall... He was a lover of Yoshida's gourmet sauce...
Thanks so much....to you and all others who have contributed with members who's threads and be replicated. Trying to compile a full and comprehensive list would have been an exhausting task for the 3 of us so the input is greatly appreciated.

Robert

Love this idea, and hope to join in. A few of these fine folks who have passed (RIP) have helped encourage me along the way in my short time here, so I'd love to honor them and their passion for creating great eats!

With that being said, (this is probably a dumb question) but if we can't find/don't have access to an ingredient, or it no longer exists, can we improvise as closely as possible?

Thanks.

With that being said, (this is probably a dumb question) but if we can't find/don't have access to an ingredient, or it no longer exists, can we improvise as closely as possible?
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask :emoji_wink: Yes, you can substitute an ingredient or spice if its not available. You can't substitute pork for beef, but as far as infill ingredients, you have been given some flexibility but you must stay as close as possible to the recipe you're replicating. If not, Doug is gonna lower the boom on you :emoji_laughing: JK of course.

Robert

Reactions: pi guy and MJB05615
Love this idea, and hope to join in. A few of these fine folks who have passed (RIP) have helped encourage me along the way in my short time here, so I'd love to honor them and their passion for creating great eats!

Thanks.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask :emoji_wink: Yes, you can substitute an ingredient or spice if its not available. You can't substitute pork for beef, but as far as infill ingredients, you have been given some flexibility but you must stay as close as possible to the recipe you're replicating. If not, Doug is gonna lower the boom on you :emoji_laughing: JK of course.

Robert
If you do have to substitute an ingredient then make sure to let us know and why.

Chris

Reactions: MJB05615
I'm glad this came up. I wanted to ask some admins if there's a place we could place / list our passed friends.
This is gonna be a tough one.
I talked with Ron, Mark, and Bob on the phone quite often... usually after the chat window dwindled out.

Reactions: Texas Cookin'
The first of three weekends is upon us. For those weekend warriors thinking about entering.

Good luck and good smoking.

Chris

This is a great idea and a great tribute.
Thanks David. We've all seen some amazing meals showcased by you and would love to see you enter. The problem is that you might have to cross the border to get your prize if you win. Shipping cost to Canada is painful :emoji_laughing: Seriously though, I bet we could figure something out should you claim one of the prizes.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Thanks David. We've all seen some amazing meals showcased by you and would love to see you enter. The problem is that you might have to cross the border to get your prize if you win. Shipping cost to Canada is painful :emoji_laughing: Seriously though, I bet we could figure something out should you claim one of the prizes.
Especially in Davids part of Canada. He's way out in the boonies.

Chris

• Haha

Robert

Hi Robert, I appreciate the kind words on the smokes/cooks that I have posted on here. And I really enjoy all the knowledge and help that has been given to me over the last 2 years since I joined.

I love joining these Throwdowns, and this one is even more special. But I love doing it for the fun and challenge really

I know it is hard where I am in another country than most here on SMF, if I was to enter and maybe even place in the top somewhere.

I was away and missed entering the last throwdown. But I did return in time to vote for all the great posts everyone did. I have entered the last 5 and did place in 4 of them. It was a lot of fun and enjoyed the challenge of coming up with something different.

When I won on the 2nd or 3rd throwdown and there was problems with the prizes ( for all 3 of us winners ) I was talking with Brian bmudd14474 bmudd14474 about it and said that it is no problem that I do not have to enter in the throwdowns because I am in another country and the shipping is an issue. And I totally understand. He said no please keep entering like everyone else.

On the last one , the prize could not be shipped to me because it was meat products. And for that I totally understand, but was given the choice of another gift. And was very pleased with the great prize.

Again I love joining in to the throwdowns but understand the issues of sending to another country.

It might never be a problem with the shipping as I have to enter and put in a good enough product to be picked, lol
And like I told Brian it is fun just being part of this great bunch of people , ( great friends that I have never meet )

Now I will step off my soap box :emoji_sunglasses: 🤠 :emoji_sunglasses:
David

Ha ha , Chris, yes we are quite a ways out there,
it takes us 2 hours in our buggy from our place and we are still in the middle of nowhere :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:.
we have to come out just to hunt.

David
I've been to Nova Scotia before David. It's a beautiful part of the country up there.

So are you......lol
Now come on Cliff, Last time I visited your neck of the woods. It took us almost as long to get to Long Island from Manhattan. Then It took us to get to Manhattan from VT. Granted there was a bad accident on the 495(I think that's the hwy), but still.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky