Maple or Hickory smoke for bacon???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Best smoke for bacon

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbchurchill

Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Los Angeles
I goofed and forgot to order applewood chunks.

I have some really nice maple and hickory... just finished a 10 day pop's brine on some pork belly and need to hot smoke tomorrow.

I've never done maple or hickory for bacon. Any recommendations?

Mix them! I, and a lot of others here, use a pellet blend of Hickory, Maple and Cherry. Great on pork. The Hickory punch is muted by the sweet Maple. The Cherry gives a deep mahogany red color to the meat. I think you will be happy with the 50/50 blend...JJ

Good morning and welcome from a rainy East Texas

All that wood imparts great flavor

Gary

Reactions: JC in GB
I personally use Hickory about 95% of the time, but just about any flavor of Smoke is good on Bacon.

Bear

The last bacon I did was a blend of cob, apple, and hickory. My taste must not be very refined because it all tastes good to me.

The last bacon I did was a blend of cob, apple, and hickory. My taste must not be very refined because it all tastes good to me.

Yeah, I never was into worrying about which wood has which flavor.
The only real difference to me is the strength of the smoke flavor.
They all give you "Smoke" flavor, when put on light or medium for hours of smoking.
However Hickory is a good strong Smoke (My favorite).
Mesquite is Super strong---Too much for many things. IMO.
Everything else is weaker.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky