Maple and Cajun BBB Inda Smokehouse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Boston butts on sale this week....$0.98/lb. So I picked up a double pack 5 days ago. deboned and butterflied them, weighed, sugar cure rubbed in and some real maple extract, about 1/2 TBSP. per slab.
Tonight I opened the frig. and stared....nope, not enough. So I went back and picked up another double pack. This batch will be Cajun bacon made with Steens syrup.

I plan to smoke the Maple BBB with Cherry, Apple, and Maple blend pellet dust. The Cajun BBB with be smoked with hickory pellet dust.

Maple comes out of the cure in another 10 days, then 7 days in the frig. to let the sugar catch up with the salt and equalize, dry out a little bit and get tacky. Then 2 nights of cold smoke...

Here they are inda frig...
IMG_20190305_220750.jpg

Maple on top, Cajun on bottom.

Went with 1.75% salt, 1.75% dark brown sugar, and 156ppm cure #1. 156ppm because I am double smoking and the cure will dissipate over the duration of the cook.

Awesome curing going on at your house when is the dead line for mail order. :emoji_laughing:

Warren
I'm really excited to have my curing fridge!!! I'm about to start an venison Bresaola with umia dry bags but I need to get the bottom round from my cousin first.
I also want to do a coppa....I may splurge on the cut for that though...I have access to heritage bred pork at a local butcher shop. Locally sourced, pasture raised.

Its great to gain the equipment we like to have.

Warren
Not my first jump into cold smoking....I have helped my buddy prep and smoke using his smokehouse and his equipment. This is the first time cold smoking in my smokehouse. I have the AMNTS Oval...have not decided if I'm going to run an external pipe or leave it in the smoke chamber though. Still undecided and doing trial runs.

Forgot to update this thread...

I pulled the slabs out of the curing bags on 3/14/19 after 14 days in the cure. Rinsed them off and did a fry test...
IMG_20190314_103720.jpg

I used 2.5% salt in the cure on this batch; little too salty for my liking so I did a 2 hour soak and fry tested it again. Much better.

I had been looking for a way to hang my bacon in the fridge. I found my answer... Had these old stainless steel oven racks that I was going to use as racks in my smoker but they are not big enough..
IMG_20190313_095555.jpg

So using a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel, I cut the curved end off...
IMG_20190314_100125.jpg

Then bent the prongs up more...
IMG_20190314_100229.jpg

Boom....perfect bacon hangers!
IMG_20190314_133711.jpg

I can make a dozen bacon hangers out of these 2 racks.

If you ever run across an old oven, pull the racks out and make you some bacon hangers rather than paying the $10 bucks they want for them...

Last edited:
Reactions: bluebombersfan
I have 3 oven racks. Thanks
<thumbs up>
I have some stainless steel TIG wire...I'm going to make a hanger hook for each rack and have my buddy tack weld them on for me. You will probably have enough wire in the racks to make hangers if you know someone that can weld them for you...

<thumbs up>
I have some stainless steel TIG wire...I'm going to make a hanger hook for each rack and have my buddy tack weld them on for me. You will probably have enough wire in the racks to make hangers if you know someone that can weld them for you...

I have a buddy that can tig weld them. Might try to mig them thou

I may try and pick up a couple more racks... Have a friend that works for the city and have access to the junk pile where they put all the 'white goods' (freezers, refrigerators, ovens and such).

Tonight is smoke night. I took the slabs out of the fridge @7pm and hung them in front of a fan in the house to warm up to above smokehouse temp. for 3 hours. Hung the slabs in the smokehouse @10pm; ambient temp. was @ 53* and falling. Lit the dust (50% maple, 25% cherry, 25% apple) and she's rolling sweet TBS to 'em all night...will hang in the fridge in the am and repeat tomorrow night...may do a third night...I'll post a pic. in the morning.

Will pull out the cajun slabs to dry in the morning as well. Those will hit the smokehouse in 5~7 days...

First night of cold smoke on the BBB finished...
IMG_20190321_070050.jpg

Starting to get a little color on the slabs...
Back in the fridge until this afternoon for round #2.

2 nights of smoke complete...

IMG_20190322_074409.jpg
Taking smoke beautifully....after a fry test, no bitterness at all. 18 hours of smoke so far, Going to smoke at least i more night tonight....

Got my tomatoes in the ground on the 21st of March...
IMG_20190322_114712.jpg

I'm looking forward to the first BLT with homemade bacon and home grown tomatoes!!

But I just could not wait! I called my buddy that has a hydroponic farm and bartered a fresh tomato for some bacon...
IMG_20190324_170910.jpg

IMG_20190324_171920.jpg

IMG_20190324_172614.jpg

Oh My!!! Sooooooo gooood!!!!!! I might go fix me another one!!! LOL!

Reactions: Fran
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky